Global Intellectuals Voice Solidarity With Palestine Action Hunger Strikers ‘At Death’s Door’

Spread the love

Original article by Brett Wilkins republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). 

Protesters rally outside Pentonville Prison in London on January 11, 2026 in support of hunger-striking members of the banned anti-genocide group Palestine Action. (Photo by Kristian Buus/In Pictures via Getty Images)

Angela Davis, Naomi Klein, Sally Rooney, Tariq Ali, and George Monbiot are among the signers of a statement of support for the proscribed anti-genocide protesters, who have refused food for over two months.

More than 50 international authors and academics signed a declaration published Monday in support of hunger-striking activists allegedly linked to the banned Palestine Action movement, who are at imminent risk of death after refusing to eat for more than two months.

The brief statement—“We oppose genocide, we support the Palestine Action prisoners”—was signed by prominent figures including historian Tariq Ali; novelist Sally Rooney; former Guantánamo Bay prisoner Moazzam Begg; journalists Owen Jones and George Monbiot; and professors Angela Davis, Judith Butler, Naomi Klein, and Ilan Pappé.

RECOMMENDED…

Demonstrators Rally Outside Pentonville Prison In Support Of Palestine Action Hunger Strikers

UK Medical Professionals Warn Palestine Action Hunger Strikers ‘Will Die in Prison’

Displaced Palestinians receive food aid in Nuseirat Camp

Gaza No Longer Officially Facing Famine—But 1.6 Million Palestinians Still in ‘Man-Made Hunger Crisis’

The declaration echoes the message on a placard held by Swedish climate campaigner Greta Thunberg when she was arrested last month in London protesting the imprisonment of people accused of being part of Palestine Action after the nonviolent direct action group was officially declared a terrorist organization in July by the UK government.

Since then, more than 2,000 people have been arrested for supporting Palestine Action, often while simply holding signs. Eight accused Palestine Action activists are awaiting trial for allegedly breaking into and damaging a British military base and a facility run by Israeli arms maker Elbit Systems. The defendants are facing at least 18 months behind bars before trial.

On November 2, a small group of imprisoned activists launched a hunger strike. Three people—Heba Muraisi, Kamran Ahmed, and Lewie Chiaramello—are still striking, despite imminent danger of death.

“She’s dying. She said it: ‘I’m dying,’” Francesca Nadin said of her friend Muraisi—who is on the 71st day of her strike—during a Monday interview with the Guardian.

Nadin said that the 31-year-old’s body is “shutting down.”

“I know mentally she’ll remain strong right to the last moment but she is dying,” she added. “The government, by putting her in prison and denying her all her rights, they’re not just letting her die, they’re actively killing her.”

Ahmed, 28, has been refusing food for 64 days. Doctors have informed him that his heart muscles are shrinking and he is at risk of sudden cardiac arrest.

“He’s skinny. I describe him a bit like a piece of paper,” Shahmina Alam, Ahmed’s sister, told Al Jazeera last week. “It feels like now every time you see him, it could be the last.”

Chiaramello, 22, has Type 1 diabetes and has been fasting every other day for 44 days.

A fourth person, Umar Khalid, has reportedly resumed his strike following a 13-day pause.

Despite her dire condition, Muraisi is “intent on carrying on until the demands are met,” according to friend Amareen Afzal.

The strikers are demanding immediate bail, an end to censorship of their communications, a fair trial, lifting of the ban on Palestine Action, and closure of Elbit Systems’ UK facilities.

“The hunger strikers’ demands seem reasonable to me,” Monbiot wrote last week. “All these things, I believe, should be happening anyway. And they are of course negotiating positions. Whether all would need to be met for the strike to end cannot be known until the government engages. Its refusal to talk could condemn the strikers to death.”

Standing in stark contrast with the US military’s torturous force-feeding of hunger striking Guantánamo Bay prisoners during the Obama administration, the UK follows recommendations in the World Medical Association’s Declaration of Malta, which advises doctors not to force-feed prisoners who choose to hunger strike and understand the consequences of their actions.

“Forcible feeding is never ethically acceptable,” the declaration states.

In 1981, UK authorities allowed 10 imprisoned Irish Republican Army members, including former Member of Parliament Bobby Sands, to starve themselves to death in Northern Ireland. Their deaths occurred after between 46 and 73 days of refusing food.

A group of former hunger strikers from Palestine, Ireland, and Guantánamo on Sunday issued an urgent appeal to the UK government to save the Palestine Action strikers’ lives, and condemning the terrorist designation.

Critics said that the government would be to blame should any of the hunger strikers die.

“The UK is now perilously close to full descent into authoritarian rule,” said professor Peter Hallward, who signed the intellectuals’ declaration. “Ministers won’t even meet with hunger strikers, who are now at death’s door.”

Hallward added that British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy, Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, and Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood “seem perfectly ready to let this country’s most committed and courageous opponents of an ongoing genocide waste away and die.”

Israel’s US-backed war and siege on Gaza following the Hamas-led attack of October 7, 2023 has left more than 250,000 Palestinians dead, wounded, or missing in Gaza and most of the coastal strip in ruins. Around 2 million Gazans have been forcibly displaced, starved, or sickened.

Hundreds of Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces since the current cease-fire took effect three months ago. Israeli authorities are still blocking or strictly limiting the entry of critical supplies into Gaza, where 2-month-old infant Mohammed Abu Harbid over the weekend became at least the fourth Palestinian baby to freeze to death since November.

More than a dozen Palestinians—including at least five children—have been killed by Israeli attacks in Gaza in recent days.

Israel is facing a genocide case filed by South Africa at the International Court of Justice, the principal judicial body of the United Nations, where a panel of experts found last year that Israel was committing genocide. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant are also wanted by the International Criminal Court for alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza.

On Monday, a court in Edinburgh held a hearing on a petition filed by human rights campaigner and former diplomat Craig Murray seeking to lift the ban on Palestine Action in Scotland, whose judiciary is independent from the rest of the UK.

“The impact of proscription of Palestine Action has been appalling,” attorney Joanna Cherry told the court. “Scores of peaceful people of entirely good character have been arrested under the absurd pretence of terrorism.”

“We are dealing with human rights and liberties—some of the most fundamental in our society,” Cherry added. “If people don’t have the right to express their views and assemble to express their views, they can’t really take part in civil society properly and adequately. It’s hard to imagine a more urgent situation.”

Original article by Brett Wilkins republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). 

Experiencing issues with this image not appearing. I suspect because it's so critical of Zionist Keir Starmer's support of and complicity in Israel's genocides.
Genocide denier and Current UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer is quoted that he supports Zionism without qualification. He also confirms that UK air force support has been essential in Israel’s mass-murdering genocide. Includes URLs https://www.declassifieduk.org/keir-starmers-100-spy-flights-over-gaza-in-support-of-israel/ and https://youtu.be/O74hZCKKdpA
Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza's hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza’s hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Orcas discuss Genocide-supporting and complicit Zionists. Donald Trump, Keith Starmer, David Lammy, Rachel Reeves, Angela Rayner and Wes Streeting are acknowledged as evil genocide-complicit and supporting cnuts.
Orcas discuss Genocide-supporting and complicit Zionists. Donald Trump, Keith Starmer, David Lammy, Rachel Reeves, Angela Rayner and Wes Streeting are acknowledged as evil genocide-complicit and supporting cnuts.

Continue ReadingGlobal Intellectuals Voice Solidarity With Palestine Action Hunger Strikers ‘At Death’s Door’

“Grave danger looms” over Palestine solidarity hunger strikers in Britain

Spread the love

Original article by Ana Vračar republished from peoples dispatch under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 (CC BY-SA) license.

Source: Defend Our Juries/X

Palestine solidarity activists on hunger strike in British prisons face life-threatening risks as their protest enters its third month.

Palestine solidarity activists on hunger strike in British prisons have long passed a critical point in their protest, with at least two now facing a risk of imminent death. Heba Muraisi and Kamran Ahmed, who have been on hunger strike since November, have both reported worsening symptoms that health professionals warn could signal permanent damage. Their deteriorating condition has led to yet another wave of appeals for the UK government, led by Keir Starmer, to finally address the strikers’ demands.

“As the hunger strike enters its third month, those still on hunger strike continue to deteriorate, and grave danger looms over them,” the group Prisoners for Palestine warned. “Despite this, they continue firm in their actions and beliefs, that continuing to strike is the only way to get justice in the face of the government’s contempt for life.”

Read more: This is not a ceasefire: the Israeli genocide continues

Most recently, Muraisi has reported uncontrollable muscle spasms and increasing difficulty breathing, while Ahmed has experienced intermittent hearing loss and severe physical decline. He was hospitalized for the sixth time this week, with health workers reporting growing difficulty in providing care. “Healthcare staff found it extremely difficult to cannulate him due to the effect the hunger strike has had on his body, causing his veins to shrink and become very hard to find,” Prisoners for Palestine said in an earlier statement.

Muraisi and Ahmed are among the eight activists involved in what has been described as the largest hunger strike in Britain since the 1981 Irish political prisoners’ strike. A third activist, Lewie Chiaramello, remains on intermittent hunger strike and faces serious risks due to underlying medical conditions, namely diabetes. At the same time, activists who have paused or ended their strikes in recent days are struggling to recover their health. Teuta Hoxha, who paused her strike earlier this week, reported that prison authorities failed to ensure support for adequate supervised refeeding, potentially exposing her to the serious risks posed by refeeding syndrome.

Read more: Protesters urge UK government to “grow a spine” and stand up to Trump

The strikers are demanding guarantees of their right to bail and to communicate with family and support networks, as well as the deproscription of the direct action group Palestine Action and an end to British complicity in the genocide in Gaza, including a halt to all operations by Elbit Systems in the UK. Despite continuous appeals from families, human rights organizations, and members of Parliament, the British government has so far refused even to engage in dialogue.

“Keir Starmer’s government is not passive; it is actively complicit: enabling genocide abroad, escalating repression at home and giving a green light to Trump’s renewed imperialism,” MP Zarah Sultana wrote on January 6. “This is not neutrality. It is collaboration. Let there be no ambiguity: if Heba or Kamran die, that blood is on the hands of this Labour government.”

In contrast to the government’s stance, solidarity for the hunger strikers continues to grow both locally and internationally. Following appeals by Irish organizations and political parties drawing parallels with the experience of Irish prisoners in the 1980s, South African networks and individuals called on President Cyril Ramaphosa to urge British authorities to take action.

“Under apartheid, some detained unjustly by the regime used hunger strikes as the only form of resistance available to them, calling for justice for themselves and for all who were oppressed,” their letter, dated December 29, 2025, reads. “As a nation, we must therefore stand in solidarity with these six young people, support their reasonable demands, and urge the British government to end its injustices against them, actions that could ultimately cost them their lives.”

The Labour government’s continued refusal to reconsider its repressive approach to protest rights has been widely criticized, including in a recent report by Human Rights Watch. The warnings highlight a general climate in Britain that is increasingly hostile to popular dissent and is having a chilling effect on fundamental civil liberties.

Original article by Ana Vračar republished from peoples dispatch under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 (CC BY-SA) license.

Experiencing issues with this image not appearing. I suspect because it's so critical of Zionist Keir Starmer's support of and complicity in Israel's genocides.
Genocide denier and Current UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer is quoted that he supports Zionism without qualification. He also confirms that UK air force support has been essential in Israel’s mass-murdering genocide. Includes URLs https://www.declassifieduk.org/keir-starmers-100-spy-flights-over-gaza-in-support-of-israel/ and https://youtu.be/O74hZCKKdpA
Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza's hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza’s hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Orcas discuss Genocide-supporting and complicit Zionists. Donald Trump, Keith Starmer, David Lammy, Rachel Reeves, Angela Rayner and Wes Streeting are acknowledged as evil genocide-complicit and supporting cnuts.
Orcas discuss Genocide-supporting and complicit Zionists. Donald Trump, Keith Starmer, David Lammy, Rachel Reeves, Angela Rayner and Wes Streeting are acknowledged as evil genocide-complicit and supporting cnuts.

Continue Reading“Grave danger looms” over Palestine solidarity hunger strikers in Britain

Commons leader vow to raise hunger striker prison move with Lammy branded ‘too little too late’

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/commons-leader-vow-raise-hunger-striker-prison-move-lammy-branded-too-little-too-late

Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy speaking during the launch of the Government’s anti-corruption strategy at home and abroad to strengthen national security and drive growth, at Mansion House in London, December 8, 2025

PALESTINE ACTION supporters expressed disgust that it took a hunger striker “to be on the brink of death” before the Commons leader would raise the issue of a prison move with Justice Secretary David Lammy today.

Sir Alan Campbell said that he would raise the possibility of moving Heba Muraisi to be closer to her disabled mother after Labour MP Barry Gardiner urged him to act.

The 31-year-old, who is Mr Gardiner’s constituent, is currently being held at HMP New Hall in West Yorkshire 200 miles away from her mother’s home.

Mr Gardiner said that she is “close to death, because she has been on hunger strike protest for 67 days” and had asked if she could be moved to HMP Bronzefield in Ashford, Surrey, as it will be easier for her disabled mother to visit.

“Delays in the courts system mean that one of my constituents has been in prison awaiting trial on remand for over a year,” he added.

“I plead with the leader of the house to let common sense and humanity prevail, to urgently intervene, to agree the transfer and also to consider allowing her release on bail to her family home in my constituency.”

Sir Alan said: “I will not only draw it to the attention of the Justice Secretary, but to make sure that he gets the assurances that he and the family need.”

Article continues at https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/commons-leader-vow-raise-hunger-striker-prison-move-lammy-branded-too-little-too-late

Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza's hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza’s hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Palestine Action joke that appeared in the UK satirical magazine 'Private Eye'.
Palestine Action joke that appeared in the UK satirical magazine ‘Private Eye’.
Orcas discuss Genocide-supporting and complicit Zionists. Donald Trump, Keith Starmer, David Lammy, Rachel Reeves, Angela Rayner and Wes Streeting are acknowledged as evil genocide-complicit and supporting cnuts.
Orcas discuss Genocide-supporting and complicit Zionists. Donald Trump, Keith Starmer, David Lammy, Rachel Reeves, Angela Rayner and Wes Streeting are acknowledged as evil genocide-complicit and supporting cnuts.
Continue ReadingCommons leader vow to raise hunger striker prison move with Lammy branded ‘too little too late’