Reporters Without Borders Urges UN Action After Israel Massacres Gaza Journalists

Spread the love

Original article by Brett Wilkins republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). 

People honor the more than 200 journalists killed by Israeli forces in Gaza, including Al Jazeera correspondent Anas al-Sharif and his team, outside the Dutch Foreign Ministry in The Hague on August 11, 2025.  (Photo: Mouneb Taim/Anadolu via Getty Images)

“This massacre and Israel’s media blackout strategy, designed to conceal the crimes committed by its army for more than 21 months in the besieged and starving Palestinian enclave, must be stopped immediately.”

The international advocacy group Reporters Without Borders on Monday called on the United Nations Security Council to convene an emergency meeting following the massacre of six Palestinian media professionals in an Israeli strike on the Gaza Strip.

Al Jazeera reporters Anas al-Sharif and Mohammed Qreiqeh, camera operators Ibrahim Zaher, Mohammed Noufal, and Moamen Aliwa, and independent journalist Mohammed al-Khaldi were killed Sunday in a targeted Israel Defense Forces (IDF) strike on their tent outside al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City.

The IDF claimed that al-Sharif—one of the most prominent Palestinian journalists—”was the head of a Hamas terrorist cell,” repeating an allegation first made last year. However, independent assessments by United Nations experts, the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists, and Reporters Without Borders (RSF) concluded that Israel’s allegations were unsubstantiated.

Investigative journalist Jeremy Scahill warned last year that the IDF’s portrayal of al-Sharif and other Palestinian journalists as Hamas members was “an assassination threat and an attempt to preemptively justify their murder” for showing the world the genocidal realities of Israel’s U.S.-backed war.

“Tonight Israel murdered the bravest journalistic hero in Gaza, Anas al-Sharif,” Scahill said Sunday on social media. “For nearly two straight years, he documented the genocide of his people with courage and principle. Israel put him on a hit list because of his voice. Shame on this world and all who were silent.”

Al Jazeera condemned Sunday’s massacre as “a desperate attempt to silence the voices exposing the impending seizure and occupation of Gaza.”

RSF issued a statement accusing the IDF of killing the six men “without providing solid evidence” of Hamas affiliation, a “disgraceful tactic” that is “repeatedly used against journalists to cover up war crimes.”

The Paris-based nonprofit noted that Israeli forces have “already killed more than 200 media professionals”—including at least 19 Al Jazeera workers and freelancers—since the IDF began its annihilation and siege of Gaza in retaliation for the October 7, 2023 attack led by Hamas.

These include Al Jazeera reporter Ismail al-Ghoul and photographer Rami al-Rifi, who were killed in a targeted strike on the al-Shati refugee camp in July 2024 following an IDF smear campaign alleging without proof that al-Ghoul took part in the October 7 attack. The IDF claimed that al-Ghoul received Hamas military training at a time when he would have been just 10 years old.

“RSF strongly condemns the killing of six media professionals by the Israeli army, once again carried out under the guise of terrorism charges against a journalist,” RSF director general Thibaut Bruttin said in a statement. “One of the most famous journalists in the Gaza Strip, Anas al-Sharif, was among those killed.”

“This massacre and Israel’s media blackout strategy, designed to conceal the crimes committed by its army for more than 21 months in the besieged and starving Palestinian enclave, must be stopped immediately,” Bruttin continued. “The international community can no longer turn a blind eye and must react and put an end to this impunity.”

“RSF calls on the U.N. Security Council to meet urgently on the basis of Resolution 2222 of 2015 on the protection of journalists in times of armed conflict in order to stop this carnage,” he added.

Israel’s latest killing of media professionals sparked international condemnation. On Monday, Stéphane Dujarric, a spokesperson for U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres, called for an investigation into the massacre, saying that “journalists and media workers must be respected, they must be protected and they must be allowed to carry out their work freely, free from fear and free from harassment.”

Recognizing the possibility that he would become one of the more than 61,500 Palestinians killed by Israeli forces in Gaza since October 2023, al-Sharif, like many Palestinian journalists, prepared a statement to be published in the event of his death.

“This is my will and my final message. If these words reach you, know that Israel has succeeded in killing me and silencing my voice,” he wrote. “I urge you not to let chains silence you, nor borders restrain you. Be bridges toward the liberation of the land and its people, until the sun of dignity and freedom rises over our stolen homeland.”

“Make my blood a light that illuminates the path of freedom for my people and my family,” al-Sharif added.

Since October 2023, RSF has filed four complaints with the International Criminal Court—which last year issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant for alleged crimes against humanity and war crimes—requesting investigations into IDF killings of journalists in Gaza and accusing Israel of a deliberate “eradication of the Palestinian media.”

The six journalists’ killings came as Israeli forces prepared to ramp up the Gaza invasion with the stated goal of occupying the entire coastal enclave and ethnically cleansing much of its Palestinian population.

The Gaza Health Ministry said Monday afternoon that at least 69 Palestinians, including at least 10 children and 29 aid-seekers, were killed in the past 24 hours. An IDF strike on Gaza City reportedly killed nine people, including six children. Five more Palestinians also reportedly died of starvation in a burgeoning famine that officials say has claimed at least 222 lives, including 101 children.

Continue ReadingReporters Without Borders Urges UN Action After Israel Massacres Gaza Journalists

Mass arrest of anti-Genocide protesters

Spread the love

Vote Labour for Genocide.
Vote Labour for Genocide.
UK Labour Party government ministers Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves explain that they are partners complicit in Israel's Gaza genocide. The UK has provided Israel with arms, military and air force support. They explain that they don't do gas chambers but do do forced marches, starvation, destroy hospitals, mass-murders of journalists and healthcare workers.
UK Labour Party government ministers Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves explain that they are partners complicit in Israel’s Gaza genocide. The UK has provided Israel with arms, military and air force support. They explain that they don’t do gas chambers but do do forced marches, starvation, destroy hospitals, mass-murders of journalists and healthcare workers.
UK Labour Party Shadow Foreign Secretary repeatedly heckled at a speech to the Fabian Society over his and the Labour Party's support for and complicity in Israel's genocide of Gaza.
UK Labour Party Shadow Foreign Secretary repeatedly heckled at a speech to the Fabian Society over his and the Labour Party’s support for and complicity in Israel’s genocide of Gaza.

Continue ReadingMass arrest of anti-Genocide protesters

Starmer must expel Israeli ambassador, say Scottish Greens

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/starmer-must-expel-israeli-ambassador-say-scottish-greens

 Israeli ambassador to Britain Tzipi Hotovely arrives at BBC Broadcasting House in London, to appear on the BBC One current affairs programme, Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg, June 15, 2025

SCOTTISH Greens have called for Sir Keir Starmer to expel Israeli ambassador Tzipi Hotovely as they renew their calls for an end to political and military support for the “genocidal assault on Gaza.”

The party’s co-leader Lorna Slater made the remarks after the Prime Minister urged the Netanyahu regime to “reconsider” the escalation of its attack on Gaza, despite his government supplying the Israelis with the military intelligence and armaments necessary to continue an operation which has so far cost tens of thousands of lives. 

She said: “The UK government has not been a detached observer in the genocide against Gaza, it has been an active participant.

“Urging restraint is not enough, the hypocrisy must end. The arms sales must stop and so must the military collaboration and political support that has gone with them.

“That must mean backing sanctions against Israeli forces and expelling the Israeli ambassador who has served as a mouthpiece for genocide.

“This has been a disgraceful chapter in UK foreign policy and has made the Prime Minister and his colleagues complicit in some of the worst war crimes of this century.”

Vote Labour for Genocide.
Vote Labour for Genocide.
UK Labour Party government ministers Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves explain that they are partners complicit in Israel's Gaza genocide. The UK has provided Israel with arms, military and air force support. They explain that they don't do gas chambers but do do forced marches, starvation, destroy hospitals, mass-murders of journalists and healthcare workers.
UK Labour Party government ministers Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves explain that they are partners complicit in Israel’s Gaza genocide. The UK has provided Israel with arms, military and air force support. They explain that they don’t do gas chambers but do do forced marches, starvation, destroy hospitals, mass-murders of journalists and healthcare workers.
Continue ReadingStarmer must expel Israeli ambassador, say Scottish Greens

Over 200 global figures urge UN to dismantle Israeli apartheid and end impunity

Spread the love

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres (C) makes a speech as he attends the three-day International Palestine Conference, led by France and Saudi Arabia and attended by Turkiye at the United Nations Trusteeship Council in New York, United States on July 28, 2025. [Selçuk Acar – Anadolu Agency]

More than 200 prominent figures from across the world, including political leaders, academics, human rights advocates, journalists, religious scholars and cultural icons, have issued a joint letter to United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres calling for “the dismantling of apartheid” and “an end to impunity” for Israel’s crimes against the Palestinian people.

The letter issued yesterday warns that “silence has become complicity and hesitation a betrayal of the very Charter upon which the United Nations was founded.” It accuses Israel of committing “one of the most extensive massacres in modern history” in Gaza during June and July 2025, in which more than 60,000 Palestinians – including over 17,000 children – were killed, and over two million displaced.

The letter presents what it calls “seven myths” that have sustained Israel’s oppression since before its creation. It describes the 1948 Nakba as a “deliberate erasure” of the indigenous Palestinian people, with over 500 villages destroyed and more than 700,000 Palestinians made stateless, and rejects the narrative of Israel’s “birth” as a lawful or just event.

Tracing an unbroken chain of violence, the signatories cite the massacre at Deir Yassin in 1948, the atrocities at Sabra and Shatila in 1982, the brutal assault on Jenin in 2002, repeated bombardments of Gaza from 2008 to 2021, and the devastation unleashed since 7 October 2023. These, they argue, expose a “deliberate project of colonial expansion, racial domination, and cultural erasure, underpinned by… legal impunity.”

The appeal condemns Israel’s June 2025 attack on Iran as an unprovoked act of aggression against a sovereign state and accuses it of “normalising assassination” as a state policy. It warns that the regime’s “vast apparatus of disinformation” has been used to criminalise resistance, silence dissent, and invert the moral order by branding victims as aggressors.

READ: Israeli agriculture minister proposes Libya to host displaced Gazans

Affirming the Palestinian right to resist occupation under UN General Assembly Resolution 37/43, the letter insists that justice can only come through “a democratic referendum, inclusive of all indigenous inhabitants, be they Muslim, Christian, or Jew, and excluding those settled by colonial force.”

Declaring Zionism “not reformable” and the Israeli state “inherently exploitative, oppressive, war-mongering and unjust,” the signatories call for its dismantlement as a political and legal entity. They urge the UN to take “urgent and unequivocal action” not only in response to the June–July 2025 atrocities, but as “a historical reckoning for the accumulated crimes committed over more than a century against the Palestinian people.”

“Liberation from apartheid. Liberation from impunity. Liberation from a structure that for more than 80 years has perpetuated occupation, dispossession, and mass murder,” the letter concludes. “No arsenal of lies, no machinery of occupation, and no doctrine of impunity can withstand the long moral reckoning that history demands.”

Continue ReadingOver 200 global figures urge UN to dismantle Israeli apartheid and end impunity

Britain is an ‘active participant’ in Gaza genocide, say leading British Jews

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/britain-active-participant-gaza-genocide-say-leading-british-jews

British Jews protest against the Gaza genocide and Britain’s role in it, Whitehall, London, August 5, 2025

BRITAIN is “not just complicit, but an active participant” in Israel’s genocide in Gaza, activists said today during a rally by British Jews against the crackdown on Palestine solidarity protests.

Dozens of activists, Holocaust descendants and campaigners gathered outside Downing Street to condemn the government’s proscription of Palestine Action as a terrorist organisation and the restrictions on protests imposed under the guise of protecting the rights of Jewish people.

Speeches were delivered, songs sung and poems read out — including some written by Palestinian children.

Speaking at the rally, former South African MP and anti-arms campaigner Andrew Feinstein called his constituent MP, the Prime Minister’s actions “shameful.”

“The reality is that Britain, under Keir Starmer’s government, is not just complicit in a genocide — it is an active participant in that genocide,” he said.

“The RAF now, through an American leasing company, is flying more spy flights over Gaza than the Israeli Air Force itself.

“That is not complicity, that is active participation, and this is being done in our names, using our tax pounds.”

See the original article at https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/britain-active-participant-gaza-genocide-say-leading-british-jews

UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy says that UK is suspeding 30 of 350 arms licences to Israel. He also confirms the UK government's support for Israel's Gaza genocide and the UK government and military's active participation in genocide.
UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy says that UK is suspeding 30 of 350 arms licences to Israel. He also confirms the UK government’s support for Israel’s Gaza genocide and the UK government and military’s active participation in genocide.
Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza's hospitals and universities,mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza’s hospitals and universities,mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
UK Labour Party government ministers Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves explain that they are partners complicit in Israel's Gaza genocide. The UK has provided Israel with arms, military and air force support. They explain that they don't do gas chambers but do do forced marches, starvation, destroy hospitals, mass-murders of journalists and healthcare workers.
UK Labour Party government ministers Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves explain that they are partners complicit in Israel’s Gaza genocide. The UK has provided Israel with arms, military and air force support. They explain that they don’t do gas chambers but do do forced marches, starvation, destroy hospitals, mass-murders of journalists and healthcare workers.
Experiencing issues with this image not appearing. I suspect because it's so critical of Zionist Keir Starmer's support of and complicity in Israel's genocides.
Genocide denier and Current UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer is quoted that he supports Zionism without qualification. He also confirms that UK air force support has been essential in Israel’s mass-murdering genocide. Includes URLs https://www.declassifieduk.org/keir-starmers-100-spy-flights-over-gaza-in-support-of-israel/ and https://youtu.be/O74hZCKKdpA
Continue ReadingBritain is an ‘active participant’ in Gaza genocide, say leading British Jews