Starmer’s proposed protest bans would ‘strike at the root of free assembly and free speech,’ campaigners say

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/starmers-proposed-protest-bans-would-strike-root-free-assembly-and-free-speech-campaigners

 People take part in a Palestine Solidarity Campaign rally in Lewisham, south-east London, May 2, 2026

CAMPAIGNERS have hit back at Sir Keir Starmer’s latest threats to ban some pro-Palestine marches, saying restrictions would “strike at the root of free assembly and free speech.”

The Prime Minister told BBC Radio 4’s Today on Saturday “there are instances” in which he supports a moratorium on peace demonstrations.

“I think it’s time to look across the board at protests and the cumulative effect,” he said. “I think it’s time for, I would say, some people protesting to just reflect on what the Jewish community is going through and the overall impact that this is having.”

Stop the War coalition co-founder John Rees said the PM’s comments were a “threat” to the massive marches the coalition has helped organise since the start of Israel’s genocidal war in Gaza.

A ban would “strike at the root of free assembly and free speech in this country,” he told Sky News.

He also warned the PM against “completely fallacious” conflations of pro-Palestine demonstrations and attacks on Jewish people, such as last week’s knife attack in Golders Green.

Mr Rees said of the man charged with three counts of attempted murder after last Wednesday’s north London stabbing: “These kinds of individuals are not attached to the Palestine movement.

“They are not attached to the marches. There’s no evidence that they’ve ever seen a march, let alone been on one, or that the organisers would for a second condone it.

“We have to be absolutely clear here, there is no threat whatsoever to the Jewish community from these marches.

Article continues at https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/starmers-proposed-protest-bans-would-strike-root-free-assembly-and-free-speech-campaigners

Keir Starmer says that he's banning words and phrases now as well as placards.
Keir Starmer says that he’s banning words and phrases now as well as placards.
Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza's hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza’s hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.

Continue ReadingStarmer’s proposed protest bans would ‘strike at the root of free assembly and free speech,’ campaigners say

Police should not be above scrutiny, Polanski says over Golders Green post

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/police-should-not-be-above-scrutiny-polanski-says-over-golders-green-post

THE police should not be above scrutiny, Zack Polanski has said, amid a political furore over a post he shared about officers’ behaviour during the Golders Green stabbings.

The Green Party leader also hit out at Metropolitan Police chief Sir Mark Rowley – who wrote an open letter criticising the politician over the repost – saying the commissioner’s move was not “an appropriate way to do politics.”

Mr Polanski retweeted an X post which accused officers of kicking the suspect in the north-west London attack in the head after he had already been incapacitated.

He has faced criticism, including from Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer, who branded him “disgraceful” and “not fit to lead any political party.”

Mr Polanski told Sky News: “I think you can both recognise the bravery of officers who run towards incidents that most of us, including myself, would certainly want to run away from – and find the appropriate forum to say that no-one, especially the police, should be above scrutiny.

“The reason why I’ve apologised is I accept that wasn’t the appropriate forum.”

Continues at https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/police-should-not-be-above-scrutiny-polanski-says-over-golders-green-post

Continue ReadingPolice should not be above scrutiny, Polanski says over Golders Green post

Campaigners celebrate after 115 Senedd candidates pledged for Palestine

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/campaigners-celebrate-after-115-senedd-candidates-pledged-palestine

 PSC Cymru co-chairwoman Bethan Sayed [… and what?]

PALESTINIAN campaigners in Wales were celebrating this weekend after 115 Senedd candidates pledged for Palestine — including backing boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) against Israel.

Candidates signing the Palestine Solidarity Campaign (PSC) Cymru pledge include 46 Green candidates, 37 from Plaid Cymru, eight from the Liberal Democrats, six from Labour and five independents.

PSC Cymru co-chairwoman Bethan Sayed said: “Reaching over 100 pledges is a milestone and is a clear message that Palestine is on the ballot in this Senedd election.

“Wales has always aspired to be a nation that stands on the right side of history, a globally responsible nation that holds human rights and international law at its heart.

“Support for Palestinian rights stretches across every community and every constituency in Wales. Polls show public backing for this issue.

“Voters will be watching closely to see who has the conviction to stand with them.”

The pledge commits elected candidates to uphold the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people, stand up to Israel for its crimes of genocide and apartheid — and ensure the Welsh government is not complicit in these crimes.

Article continues at https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/campaigners-celebrate-after-115-senedd-candidates-pledged-palestine

Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza's hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza’s hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Nigel Farage objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza's hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Nigel Farage objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza’s hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Orcas discuss Genocide-supporting and complicit Zionists. Donald Trump, Keith Starmer, David Lammy, Rachel Reeves, Angela Rayner and Wes Streeting are acknowledged as evil genocide-complicit and supporting cnuts.
Orcas discuss Genocide-supporting and complicit Zionists. Donald Trump, Keith Starmer, David Lammy, Rachel Reeves, Angela Rayner and Wes Streeting are acknowledged as evil genocide-complicit and supporting cnuts.

Continue ReadingCampaigners celebrate after 115 Senedd candidates pledged for Palestine

Iran strikes damaged 16 US military sites in Middle East, report claims

Spread the love

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Smoke rises after Iran carried out a missile strike on the main headquarters of the U.S. Navy’s 5th Fleet in Manama in retaliation against US-Israeli attacks, in Bahrain February 28, 2026. [Stringer – Anadolu Agency]

Iran and its allies struck no fewer than 16 US military sites in eight countries across the Middle East in the latest military conflict, leaving some of them “virtually unusable,” CNN reported on Friday citing sources.

The report was based on dozens of satellite images and interviews with sources from the US and Gulf Arab countries, and the affected facilities make up the “majority of US military positions” in the region.

“There has been a spectrum of assessments,” one source said. “From a pretty dramatic side, of the whole facility is destroyed and needs to be shut down, to leaders who say these things are worth repairing due to the strategic benefit they give the US.”

READ: US says it redirected 48th vessel from Iranian ports

Satellite images showed that Tehran’s main targets included advanced radar systems, communications systems and aircraft. Many of those assets are expensive and difficult to replace.

“It’s notable they really identified those facilities as the most cost-effective targets to hit,” the source said. “Our radar systems (are) our most expensive and our most limited resources in the region.”

On Wednesday, Pentagon comptroller Jules “Jay” Hurst III told lawmakers that the war in Iran has cost the US about $25 billion so far. However, a source later told CNN that the actual figure is likely closer to $40-50 billion.

The war is currently on a halt and efforts to end it permanently continue. US President Donald Trump on Friday said “Iran isn’t coming through with the kind of deal that we have to have.”

READ: Iranian foreign minister says US ‘lying’ about war cost, claims $100B burden

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel's genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism "without qualification". Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel’s genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism “without qualification”. Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it's fun to kill everyone ...
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it’s fun to kill everyone …
Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Strait of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don't need people to join wars after they've already won. He's challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.
Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Strait of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don’t need people to join wars after they’ve already won. He’s challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.

Continue ReadingIran strikes damaged 16 US military sites in Middle East, report claims

Lebanon death toll in Israel’s latest offensive reaches 2,659

Spread the love

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

People carry the coffins during a funeral ceremony held for three civil defense members who lost their lives in the town of Majdal Zoun in an Israeli strike that violated the ceasefire in the city of Tyre, Lebanon, on April 30, 2026. [Houssam Shbaro – Anadolu Agency]

The death toll in Israeli attacks on Lebanon since March 2 has reached 2,659, with 8,183 others injured, the Lebanese Health Ministry said on Saturday.

In a statement, the ministry said 41 people were killed and 11 others injured in Israeli raids over the past 24 hours.

Israel launched the offensive in Lebanon following Hezbollah’s retaliation linked to the Iran war. Besides the casualties, the attacks have displaced more than 1 million people.

A 10-day ceasefire that began on April 17 was later extended until mid May, but Israel continues to violate it daily through airstrikes and the demolition of homes.

Israel also maintains what it describes as a “buffer zone” in southern Lebanon, saying it is meant to prevent attacks from Hezbollah. An earlier truce in Lebanon was reached in November 2024.

READ: Israeli army demolishes Christian monastery, nuns’ school in southern Lebanon

Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel's genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism "without qualification". Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel’s genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism “without qualification”. Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it's fun to kill everyone ...
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it’s fun to kill everyone …
Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Strait of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don't need people to join wars after they've already won. He's challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.
Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Strait of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don’t need people to join wars after they’ve already won. He’s challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.

Continue ReadingLebanon death toll in Israel’s latest offensive reaches 2,659