Tories slammed over ‘divisive’ plans to remove foreign nationals’ right to social housing

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/tories-slammed-over-divisive-plans-remove-foreign-nationals-right-social-housing

 DIVISIVE: Shadow work and pensions secretary Helen Whately

FOREIGN nationals would lose their right to social housing in Britain if the Tories return to power, the party announced on Friday in new “divisive” plans.

Under the proposals, about 230,000 homes would become available by removing foreign nationals’ entitlement to social housing, with affected tenants required to move out within six months.

Foreign nationals with settled status, refugee status, or specific humanitarian protections currently qualify for social housing, while asylum seekers are generally ineligible.

Any single person in social housing who is not a UK, Irish or EU citizen would lose their home, the Conservatives say, including those with children.

Anyone with EU settled status would be exempt, but couples where neither partner holds British, EU or settled status would lose their entitlement.

The plans were condemned by the housing charity Shelter.

Chief executive Sarah Elliott said: “These divisive plans would brutally kick people out of their homes, including thousands of families and pensioners who have lived in them for decades.

“And let’s not forget that social tenants pay rent, which goes back to the public purse and into society.

“It is completely senseless to ruin people’s lives, drive up homelessness and put extreme pressure on councils.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/tories-slammed-over-divisive-plans-remove-foreign-nationals-right-social-housing

Continue ReadingTories slammed over ‘divisive’ plans to remove foreign nationals’ right to social housing

‘An Avoidable Disaster’: Israeli Blockade of Gaza Could Starve Hundreds of Premature Babies

Spread the love

Original article by Stephen Prager republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0).

A newborn baby in an incubator struggles to survive following Israel’s blockade of food and medical aid in Gaza City, Gaza on March 11, 2025. 
(Photo: Khalil Ramzi Alkahlut/Anadolu via Getty Images)

The Associated Press reported Wednesday that 580 premature infants are at risk of death due to “depleted” reserves of baby formula.

The Associated Press reported Wednesday that 580 premature infants are at risk of death, according to the Gaza Health Ministry, due to a shortage of medical-grade formula entering the strip.

Despite a recent policy change by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to allow “minimal aid” into the strip following a total blockade of food, water, shelter, and medication, it has proven far too little to keep hospitals running and keep people fed. It has proven especially deadly for children.

The AP report quotes Dr. Ahmed al-Farah, head of the pediatrics and obstetrics department at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, one of the few functional medical facilities left in Gaza.

Last week, al-Farah warned that the hospital’s stock of milk was “completely depleted,” and that unless aid was delivered immediately, the babies would face “an avoidable disaster.” The widely publicized call was answered with the shipment of 20 boxes of formula from the U.S. aid group Rahma Worldwide.

Al-Farah said this was enough to meet the needs of 10 babies for two weeks, but warned that in the long run it would be far too little, especially with no guarantee of aid in the future.

“This is not enough at all,” he told the AP. “It solved the problem temporarily, but what we need is a permeant solution: Lift the siege.”

Many other hospitals reported shortages of formula that had not been answered, such as Al-Rantisi Hospital in Gaza City, which was completely out of stock.

Fortified milk has become increasingly necessary in Gaza due to the increasing number of premature births. In May, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) reported that as a result of widespread hunger, 1 in 5 children is now born pre-term or underweight. That malnutrition has also left many new mothers unable to breastfeed.

Dr. Asaad Nawajha, a pediatric specialist at Nasser Hospital, told Middle East Eye that the blockade has proven catastrophic for the health of both children and their mothers.

“This all goes back to the [harsh] conditions mothers endure amid this vicious war on the Gaza Strip,” Nawajha said. “Due to the lack of nutritious items entering the Gaza Strip, both mothers and children have been exposed to illnesses resulting from malnutrition.”

The Israeli government’s Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT) has insisted that the amount of aid allowed into Gaza is sufficient to provide for the population.

On June 22, COGAT announced that 430 aid trucks had been allowed to enter the strip during the preceding week. However, this is but a fraction of the more than 600 trucks per day that the United Nations is necessary to meet their needs.

Many people who have come to aid sites administered by the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF), to obtain the meager supplies available, have been met with deadly violence from the Israeli military.

Since May 27, at least 549 Palestinians have been killed and more than 4,000 injured by Israeli forces at these sites, according to the U.N. Office for Coordinated Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) and the Gaza Ministry of Health. The Gaza Media Office reports at least 19 fatal incidents at these GHF sites over the span of just one month.

Many of the victims have been children. According to a study released Thursday by the humanitarian group Save the Children, children have been killed at 10 of those 19 incidents.

“No child should be killed searching for food,” said Ahmad Alhendawi, Save the Children’s regional director for the Middle East, North Africa, and Eastern Europe. “This is not a humanitarian operation—it’s a death trap.”

Original article by Stephen Prager republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0).

Vote Labour for Genocide.
Vote Labour for Genocide.
Experiencing issues with this image not appearing. I suspect because it's so critical of Zionist Keir Starmer's support of and complicity in Israel's genocides.
Genocide denier and Current UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer is quoted that he supports Zionism without qualification. He also confirms that UK air force support has been essential in Israel’s mass-murdering genocide. Includes URLs https://www.declassifieduk.org/keir-starmers-100-spy-flights-over-gaza-in-support-of-israel/ and https://youtu.be/O74hZCKKdpA
UK Labour Party government ministers Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves explain that they are partners complicit in Israel's Gaza genocide. The UK has provided Israel with arms, military and air force support. They explain that they don't do gas chambers but do do forced marches, starvation, destroy hospitals, mass-murders of journalists and healthcare workers.
UK Labour Party government ministers Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves explain that they are partners complicit in Israel’s Gaza genocide. The UK has provided Israel with arms, military and air force support. They explain that they don’t do gas chambers but do do forced marches, starvation, destroy hospitals, mass-murders of journalists and healthcare workers.
Continue Reading‘An Avoidable Disaster’: Israeli Blockade of Gaza Could Starve Hundreds of Premature Babies

Even Once Reluctant Scholars Now Agree on Israel’s Gaza Assault: It’s a Genocide

Spread the love

Original article by Julia Conley republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). 

Relatives mourn the loss of loved ones killed in an Israeli attack as bodies including children are brought to Indonesian Hospital before burial in Jabalia, Gaza on May 14, 2025. (Photo: Abdalhkem Abu Riash/Anadolu via Getty Images)

“Can I name someone whose work I respect who doesn’t consider it genocide?” said one researcher. “No.”

Only a tiny number of progressive Democratic lawmakers in the U.S. have used the word “genocide” to describe Israel’s relentless bombardment of Gaza, and the U.S. public divided, with less than 40% of Americans saying last year that the term described the Israel Defense Forces’ bombing of hospitals, schools, refugee camps, and other civilian infrastructure.

But for seven leading international experts on genocide, the question is not controversial—even for those who previously rejected the label.

The seven experts were interviewed Wednesday by NRC, a newspaper in the Netherlands, and were unequivocal: Not only have they all come to believe—some earlier than others—that Israel is committing genocide against Palestinians in Gaza, but the vast majority of their peers in academia concur.

“Can I name someone whose work I respect who doesn’t consider it genocide?” said Raz Segal, an Israeli genocide researcher at Stockton University in New Jersey. “No.”

Uğur Ümit Üngör, a professor at the University of Amsterdam and the NIOD Institute for War, Holocaust, and Genocide Studies, added, “I don’t know them.”

The interview was published the day before Nakba Day, the 77th anniversary of Palestinians’ forced expulsion from their lands when Israel was established, and as the death toll in Gaza reached 53,010. At least 15,000 of those killed have been children, NRC reported.

When it comes to defining the last 19 months in Gaza as a genocide, reported the newspaper, “even cautious voices have changed.”

Israeli scholar Shmuel Lederman of Open University of Israel “opposed the genocide label” until Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government flouted the International Court of Justice’s January 2024 order to prevent genocide by allowing emergency aid into Gaza and halting top officials “incendiary language on Palestinians.” Israeli leaders have called Palestinians “human animals” and “Amalek“—an ancient enemy in the Hebrew Bible who Israelites were commanded to exterminate.

Lederman also began to see his government as genocidal after the Israel Defense Forces seized control of the Rafah crossing last year, cutting off the only humanitarian aid route as international experts warned famine was imminent, and as analysts warned the true death toll in Gaza could ultimately be close to 200,000.

“For me personally, the combination of this and the continued destruction of Gaza made the turn from harsh criticism of the crimes Israel is committing in Gaza and warnings that we are getting close to that place, to the perception that the cumulative effect of what Israel is doing in Gaza is genocidal in every sense,” said Lederman on the social media platform X on Thursday. “I think the second half of 2024 is the point at which a consensus emerged among genocide researchers (as well as the human rights community) that this was genocide. Those who may have still had doubts—I estimate that they have dissipated following Israel’s actions since the cease-fire was broken.”

Since March, when Israel reimposed a total blockade on humanitarian aid and broke a temporary cease-fire, nearly 3,000 Palestinians have been killed in bombings, and nearly 250,000 people are now facing “extreme deprivation of food,” according to the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification.

Melanie O’Brien, president of the International Association of Genocide Scholars, told NRC that Israel’s deliberate blockade on “food, water, shelter, and sanitation” convinced her the Netanyahu government was carrying out a genocide, while Segal pointed to “openly genocidal statements” by Israeli leaders.

“But for all it is about the sum of what would apply separately as ‘ordinary’ war crimes,” NRC reported. “The picture as a whole makes it a genocide. That is how the term is meant, says [British professor Martin] Shaw: ‘holistic.'”

“Apart from social debate, genocide is also the subject of science,” reads the article. “And that field of research, genocide studies, does not see it as a yes/no question, but as a process. Not a light switch, but a ‘dimmer,’ in the words of professor of Holocaust and genocide studies Uğur Ümit Üngör.”

NRC noted that the Western media and political debates have been consumed with “misunderstandings and simplifications.”

Those who continue defending Israel’s actions insist that “it is a military war to destroy Hamas, there is no clear eradication plan, not all Gazans have been killed, it does not look like the Holocaust, the judge has not yet ruled.”

As historian Rutger Bregman said on X Thursday, the scholars interviews by NRC make clear: “Genocide is a process, it’s not a binary switch. And it’s not about matching the Holocaust.”

Segal, who is Jewish, told NRC that he is “regularly accused of antisemitism” for speaking out against Israel.

“A German authority in the field that wants to remain anonymous calls the subject ‘poisoned’ in his country,” reported NRC. “You are, he says, called directly [antisemitic] if you mention ‘possible genocide.’ If these acts are subjected to a country other than Israel, he says, all Germans would immediately sound the alarm and speak of genocidal violence, as happened with the Russian massacre in the Ukrainian city of Botzja. But now, he says, it remains silent.”

Dirk Moses, editor-in-chief of the Journal of Genocide Research, said that portions of the field of research are “in crisis” if experts don’t “combat the artificial distinction between [genocide] and military targets” and continue to defend Israel’s actions.

“Then parts of the field of research are actually dead,” he said. “Not only conceptually incoherent, but complicit.”

Original article by Julia Conley republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). 

UK Labour Party government Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves explain that they are participants and complicit in Israel's Gaza genocide providing Israel with army and air force support. They explain that they don't do gas chambers but do do forced marches, starvation, destroy hospitals, mass-murders of journalists and healthcare workers.
UK Labour Party government Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves explain that they are participants and complicit in Israel’s Gaza genocide providing Israel with army and air force support. They explain that they don’t do gas chambers but do do forced marches, starvation, destroy hospitals, mass-murders of journalists and healthcare workers.
Continue ReadingEven Once Reluctant Scholars Now Agree on Israel’s Gaza Assault: It’s a Genocide

Barrage of bill hikes sees the cost-of-living crisis bite

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/barrage-of-bill-hikes-sees-the-cost-of-living-crisis-bite

Protesters on Whitehall in London, as Chancellor of the Exchequer Rachel Reeves delivers her spring statement to MPs in the House of Commons, March 26, 2025

Government must take action, union warns: ‘We can’t go on with billionaires getting ever richer whilst working people suffer’

CASH-STRAPPED Britons will be squeezed for an extra £66 every month from April as a barrage of bill hikes sees the cost-of-living crisis bite.

Millions of hard-up households, already paying what MPs said were “world-beatingly” high bills, will be forced to shell out even more for essentials from Tuesday.

GMB union urged ministers to take bold steps to help working people facing across-the-board price rises for energy, water, council tax, internet, road tax and the TV licence.

“Households have been struggling with the cost-of-living crisis for several years now,” said the union’s national secretary Andy Prendergast. “This latest set of increases shows there still isn’t any light at the end of the tunnel.

“The government must take bold steps to put money in people’s pockets,” he thundered. “We can’t go on with billionaires getting ever richer whilst working people suffer.”

Cat Hobbs, founder and director of public service campaign group We Own It, said: “With bill hikes across many essential services this spring, it looks like the cost-of-living crisis is sadly here to stay.

“The word ‘essential’ is important here. Heat, shelter, water — these are all things that we need to survive and none of them are getting cheaper.

“Water is the poster-child for the failed privatisation experiment, with companies on the brink of collapse scrambling for more of our money.

“Companies that have racked up huge debts to pay dividends are now running out of other people’s cash.

“Decades of underinvestment has killed our rivers and put the whole water network at risk.

“Modern, publicly owned services must be the goal for any progressive government.”

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/barrage-of-bill-hikes-sees-the-cost-of-living-crisis-bite

Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves wear the uniform of the rich and powerful. They have all had clothes bought for them by multi-millionaire Labour donor Lord Alli. CORRECTION: It appears that Rachel Reeves clothing was provided by Juliet Rosenfeld.
Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves wear the uniform of the rich and powerful. They have all had clothes bought for them by multi-millionaire Labour donor Lord Alli. CORRECTION: It appears that Rachel Reeves clothing was provided by Juliet Rosenfeld.
Continue ReadingBarrage of bill hikes sees the cost-of-living crisis bite

Only enough food supplies in Gaza for two weeks, says UN agency

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/only-enough-food-supplies-gaza-two-weeks-says-un-agency

Trucks line up at the Egyptian side of the Rafah border crossing between Egypt and the Gaza Strip after Israel blocked the entry of aid trucks into Gaza, March 2, 2025

THE United Nations food agency only has enough supplies in the Gaza Strip to keep public kitchens and bakeries open for less than two weeks, the body said today.

Israel has imposed another blockade on Gaza to pressure Hamas into accepting an alternative ceasefire arrangement, six weeks into their fragile truce.

Israel allowed a surge of humanitarian aid during the first six weeks of the ceasefire. But the World Food Programme said on Wednesday that its stocks are low because it prioritised delivering food to the population.

The UN agency also warned that its fuel stocks would only last for a few weeks.

Palestinians said prices spiked as people rushed to markets to stock up on supplies after Israel announced the tightening of its blockade.

After more than 16 months of war, Gaza’s population is entirely dependent on deliveries of food and other aid. Most are displaced from their homes, and many need shelter.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/only-enough-food-supplies-gaza-two-weeks-says-un-agency

Continue ReadingOnly enough food supplies in Gaza for two weeks, says UN agency