‘Web of blame’ in Grenfell inquiry may be barrier to justice, bereaved families warn

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/web-blame-grenfell-inquiry-may-be-barrier-justice-bereaved-families-warn

Grenfell Tower in west London

BEREAVED survivors cautioned today that the final report on the Grenfell fire might even hinder delivering justice.

The long-awaited report on the tragic blaze, which claimed 72 lives, is scheduled to be released [this morning].

Ahead of its release, the Grenfell Next of Kin group said that it had concerns that a “web of blame,” presented through the inquiry, would be a barrier to achieving justice.

The group said in a statement: “At a meeting with the Met Police it was confirmed that they have ‘never known a public inquiry to be conducted at the same time as a criminal investigation and examining the same issues.

“We were denied justice for seven years and now told there will be several more years.”

The Met Police previously said investigators will need at least another 12 to 18 months to announce charges, meaning that the bereaved and survivors may have to wait until 2028 for suspects to face trial.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/web-blame-grenfell-inquiry-may-be-barrier-justice-bereaved-families-warn

Continue Reading‘Web of blame’ in Grenfell inquiry may be barrier to justice, bereaved families warn

At least 12 people dead after boat sinks in the English Channel

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/at-least-12-people-dead-after-boat-sinks-in-the-english-channel

A group of people thought to be migrants are brought in to Dover, Kent, onboard the RNLI Dungeness Lifeboat following a small boat incident in the Channel, September 3, 2024

AT LEAST 12 people trying to cross into Britain from France have died after their boat sank in the English Channel.

The deaths were confirmed today by the French coastguard after a rescue operation near the coast of Cap Gris-Nez, off Wimereux, took place.

Up to 65 people were rescued and two were still missing as the Morning Star went to print.

According to the mayor of Le Portel – where the surviving refugees were being treated – the bottom of the boat “ripped open.”

The people on board the dinghy ended up in the water and several of them needed emergency medical care, the French coastguard said.

The International Organisation for Migration, which records Channel crossing deaths as part of its Missing Migrant Project, estimates 226 people including 35 children are missing or have died after attempting the crossing as of January this year.

According to the French coastguard, there have been at least 19 deaths in 2024 prior to Tuesday’s incident, including nine since the start of July.

Last week, France and Britain agreed to deepen co-operation on so-called illegal migration in the Channel.

At least 2,109 people have tried to cross since – the highest number of the year.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/at-least-12-people-dead-after-boat-sinks-in-the-english-channel

Continue ReadingAt least 12 people dead after boat sinks in the English Channel

Campaigners demand Met stop bid to disrupt march for Palestine

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/campaigners-demand-met-stop-bid-to-disrupt-march-for-palestine

People take part in a national demonstration for Gaza from Russell Square to Whitehall in London, June 8, 2024

SCOTLAND YARD has been urged to abandon plans to impose new orders that would seriously disrupt Saturday’s March for Palestine demonstration in London.

Palestine Solidarity Campaign (PSC), union leaders, MPs, peers and coalition partners expressed concern over the force severely restricting the protest in an open letter today.

The Met was accused of employing tactics “to deter people from attending” the 18th national peaceful demonstration against the Gaza genocide since last October.

On Monday, the Met was accused of refusing to participate in negotiations in a “transparent and accountable” way with the march’s organisers.

Signatories of PSC’s letter raised concerns over the eleventh-hour announcement that the Met wanted the march delayed by nearly two hours “without explanation or rationale” and its refusal to allow Pall Mall as an assembly point.

They added: “We worry that these kind of delays, and late challenges and conditions to the plans of what are entirely peaceful demonstrations, are forming a pattern.”

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/campaigners-demand-met-stop-bid-to-disrupt-march-for-palestine

Continue ReadingCampaigners demand Met stop bid to disrupt march for Palestine

UK announces partial suspension of arms exports to Israel

Spread the love

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/9/2/uk-announces-partial-suspension-of-arms-exports-to-israel

An Israeli soldier holds a weapon atop an armoured personnel carrier [File: Baz Ratner/Reuters]

Thirty out of 350 licences to be suspended, citing ‘clear risk’ they could be used in breach of international humanitarian law.

The United Kingdom says it would suspend 30 out of 350 arms exports licences to Israel, citing a “clear risk” they could be used in a serious breach of international humanitarian law.

Foreign Secretary David Lammy told parliament on Monday the partial ban covered items “which could be used in the current conflict in Gaza” against Hamas but did not include parts for the F-35 fighter jets.

He said the decision to suspend the licences did not amount to a blanket ban or an arms embargo, adding that the UK continues to support Israel’s right to self defence in accordance with international law.

“It is with regret that I inform the House [of Commons, lower house of parliament] today the assessment I have received leaves me unable to conclude anything other than that for certain UK arms exports to Israel, there does exist a clear risk that they might be used to commit or facilitate a serious violation of international humanitarian law,” Lammy said.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/9/2/uk-announces-partial-suspension-of-arms-exports-to-israel

UK Labour Party Shadow Foreign Secretary repeatedly heckled at a speech to the Fabian Society over his and the Labour Party's support for and complicity in Israel's genocide of Gaza.
UK Labour Party Shadow Foreign Secretary repeatedly heckled at a speech to the Fabian Society over his and the Labour Party’s support for and complicity in Israel’s genocide of Gaza.
Continue ReadingUK announces partial suspension of arms exports to Israel

Thousands march for Palestine as Israel intensifies war on Gaza and West Bank

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/thousands-march-for-palestine-as-israel-intensifies-war-on-gaza-and-west-bank

People march through Manchester demanding Britain impose an arms embargo on Israel, August 31, 2024 Photo: John Nicholson

THOUSANDS of protesters across Britain again marched for Palestine on Saturday as Israel intensified its war on Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank.

In major towns and cities calls were made to step up the worldwide Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign against Israel following news that international coffee shop chain Starbucks saw its market share fall by billions of dollars as customers rebel against the company’s involvement with Israel.

Protests also took place in Israel demanding a ceasefire after Hamas said that six Israeli hostages found dead in Gaza had been killed in Israeli bombing and shelling. Israel said the hostages had been murdered by Hamas as its troops approached.

Calling for more action against organisations investing in firms involved in Israel, Palestine Solidarity Campaign (PSC) said its research has revealed that local government pension scheme funds in Britain collectively invest over £4.4 billion in companies complicit in Israel’s oppression of Palestinians.

The PSC said: “Councils must take immediate action to end ties with companies that are complicit in abuses of Palestinian rights, including by divesting pension funds they administer from companies enabling Israel’s genocide. The deferred wages of local government workers must not be used to fund injustice.”

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/thousands-march-for-palestine-as-israel-intensifies-war-on-gaza-and-west-bank

Continue ReadingThousands march for Palestine as Israel intensifies war on Gaza and West Bank