Rapporteur calls for independent investigation into Sakila death

Spread the love

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2026/0521/1574523-witness-appeal

Yves Sakila died after an alleged shoplifting incident in Dublin last Friday

Ireland’s Special Rapporteur on Racism and Racial Equality has called for an Independent investigation into the death of Yves Sakila.

Dr Ebun Joseph says she has written to the Minister for Justice, the Garda Commissioner, and the Executive Director of Fiosrú, expressing profound concern regarding the circumstances surrounding Mr Sakila’s death in Dublin last week.

Gardaí were alerted on Friday afternoon after security personnel detained Mr Sakila in connection with an alleged shoplifting incident. During the incident, a man in his 80s was injured as the suspect attempted to flee the scene.

The Irish Network Against Racism described a video of the incident, which shows Mr Sakila being held on the ground for almost five minutes as “very disturbing”.

It said he is heard shouting in distress as he is being detained but by the end of the video he appears to be motionless. The 35-year-old man was later pronounced dead at the Mater Hospital.

Continues at https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2026/0521/1574523-witness-appeal

Outrage in Ireland after Congolese man Yves Sakila killed as guards kneel on his neck

Vigil for Yves Sakila, May 19, 2026. Source: X

Over 100 people joined a vigil for Yves Sakila in Dublin on Tuesday, May 19. A member of the Congolese community, 35-year-old Sakila died late last week after being violently restrained and pinned to the ground in front of a shop by a group of men, including private security guards. Another protest action has already been announced for Thursday.

Media reports suggest Sakila was assaulted after being accused of shoplifting. “A very disturbing 4m44s video has since emerged which appears to show the man on the ground being subdued by several men, who appear to be security guards and management at Arnotts,” the Irish Network Against Racism (INAR) stated on May 18.

“One of the men is seen to shift his weight onto his knee to drive it into the neck and head region of the subdued man,” the network added. “The man on the ground is heard shouting in distress as several men are kneeling on his body and the men shout several times for him to ‘stay down’ while holding his neck and pinning his body to the ground with their combined weight.”

“By the end of the 4m44s video we have seen, the man appears motionless.”

Leave a Reply