[dizzy: That’s Labour Socialist MP John McDonnell wearing the red tie.]
Disabled activists have questioned why a Labour-run department was in the high court this week defending cuts proposed by the last government which would cause “human suffering” among hundreds of thousands of claimants of out-of-work disability benefits.
They spoke during a vigil outside the Royal Courts of Justice on Tuesday (pictured) as disabled activist Ellen Clifford and her lawyers from Public Law Project were preparing to challenge the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) over a “rushed and disingenuous” consultation on plans to tighten the work capability assessment (WCA).
The plans were announced in the 2023 autumn budget, and would see more than 400,000 disabled people losing out on £416 a month by 2028-29, with many also facing strict new conditions and the risk of benefit sanctions that could see them lose even more money.
Clifford says the changes would be “cataclysmic for Deaf and disabled people in the UK and would push many into destitution”.
Labour’s work and pensions secretary, Liz Kendall, has promised to make the savings promised by the Conservatives, who pledged to cut spending by £2.8 billion in the four years to 2028-29 by tightening the WCA.
Kendall said the government would make these savings by “bringing forward our own proposals”, but she has yet to rule out the WCA changes.
Tracey Lazard, chief executive of Inclusion London, told Tuesday’s vigil that it was “incomprehensible that the new Labour government is picking up these plans and seemingly running ahead with them in glee”.
Liz Kendall – continuing the Tories’ treatment of the vulnerable (image: Skwawkbox)
Could anything provide better proof that Starmer’s party is just the red-badged version of the murderous Tories?
Liz Kendall’s (DWP) is trying to block the release of data from reports compiled under the Tories on how many people’s deaths were linked to the hated and punitive Universal Credit (UC). If released, the information is expected to show what internal investigations were carried out by the DWP into the deaths of claimants since 2019.
Data the Tories did release in 2021 showed that 43% of UC claimants were in food poverty – well before the steep rises in food and energy prices caused by corporate price-gouging in the so-called ‘cost of living emergency. The previous year, the Conservative government had been heavily criticised by the United Nations’ poverty expert for its intentional cruelty and the misery it inflicts on millions.
The Disability News Service (DNS) had been trying since November to obtain the DWP data on the number of internal process reviews (IPRs) it carried out following deaths of UC claimants and what actions investigators had recommended the DWP take to prevent further deaths.
Last month, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) ordered the Labour DWP to release the information, but the ICO has announced that the Labour government is appealing the decision and trying to block the release.
DNS had also reported that Labour is also blocking the release of information about IPRs carried out into the work capability assessment (WCA) under the Tories. As commentator Kernow Damo has pointed out, Labour is withholding information that would damn the Tories – and the only feasible reason for doing that is because Keir Starmer’s DWP Secretary, right-wing horror Liz Kendall, is planning to continue the Tories processes and policies.
It’s hard to imagine a more perfect proof that Labour is the Tory party with a red rosette than the red Tories trying to hide proof of the evils of the blue Tories they’re supposed to be opposing.