This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said on Monday that the 60-day deadline for talks with the US following the June 17 memorandum of understanding “lost its relevance” after what he called “flagrant” violations by Washington, Anadolu reports.
“There is no provision in the memorandum of understanding referring to a ‘60-day deadline’, and the Islamic Republic of Iran never formulates its policies under pressure, ultimatums or time limits,” Baqaei told reporters at a weekly news conference, as cited by the semi-official Tasnim news agency.
The memorandum instead envisaged a 60-day period for negotiations on two issues — “the lifting of sanctions” and “the nuclear issue” — which could have been extended if no agreement was reached, he added.
“Due to the flagrant and widespread violation of the memorandum of understanding by the United States, no dialogue was started just a few weeks after its signing,” Baqaei said.
“As a result, the discussion of the 60-day deadline completely lost its relevance,” he added.
The spokesman claimed that the US sanctions have “no impact” on Iran, saying the main obstacle to resolving disputes between Tehran and Washington “is not a lack of mediators.”
“Countries such as Pakistan and Qatar are already playing a role in Iran-US relations,” Baqaei noted.
“It is also entirely natural for some European countries to express their views and indicate their readiness in bilateral contacts to offer their ‘good offices’,” he said. “But this does not mean that a new mediator has emerged or been accepted in the course of Iran-US relations.”
READ: Iran says it downed US-made MQ-9 drone over southern Hormozgan province
Hormuz transit
The Iranian spokesman said negotiations with Oman on a maritime transit in the Strait of Hormuz are continuing.
”Compilation of the maritime traffic route map with Oman has taken time due to the security complications caused by the actions of the US and the Israeli regime, the multiplicity of actors and the disruption of malicious currents,” he added.
Baqaei said a possible understanding following talks with Muscat would take the form of a package comprising a roadmap and a joint statement.
The spokesman said the fate of missing Iranian pilots remains on Tehran’s agenda.
“Diplomatic relations with Qatar do not conflict with the serious pursuit of the fate of the army pilots,” he said.
On March 2, Qatar’s Defense Ministry announced that it had shot down two Su-24 aircraft from Iran. Tehran said at the time that four pilots were killed when their aircraft were hit during attacks on a US base in Qatar. Iran also said the remains of one pilot had since been recovered, while the fate of the other three pilots remained unknown.
On Saturday, Qatar rejected Iranian accusations that the three pilots had been detained by Doha.
The US and Israel launched attacks on Iran on Feb. 28, with Tehran launching retaliatory strikes targeting countries hosting US military assets across the region.
Tehran and Washington agreed to a ceasefire in April and subsequently signed a memorandum of understanding in June aimed at ending their military conflict and reaching a lasting peace agreement.
The deal, however, collapsed last month, with Iran and the US exchanging attacks for nearly two weeks before US President Donald Trump abruptly halted the bombardment amid efforts to revive the agreement.
READ: Iranian parliament to debate foreign influence, Hormuz oversight bills
This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

- Tehran bans 2 French embassy employees from returning to Iran
- ‘Emirati money buys a lot of conscience’: How UAE-linked recruiters sent Colombians into Sudan’s war
- After Mecca: The Rise of a New Middle East Security Order and Iran’s Strategic Dilemma
- Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ of US-Iran negotiations
- Trump’s adviser, Board of Peace chair meet with Israeli premier for Gaza ceasefire talks
- Iran says 60-day deadline ‘lost its relevance’ after US ‘violations’ of memorandum
- Lebanese president calls for extending mandate of UN peacekeeping forces in south
- Israel sees 53% drop of returnees as departures on rise: Report
- Israeli forces demolish two-story home in occupied East Jerusalem
- What Indonesia’s 2027 budget really says about the Middle East
- Arday backed Palestine; man behind witch hunt believes in racial hierarchy and supports Israel
- Eight Arab and Islamic countries say Israel is obstructing Gaza peace efforts
- Israeli media claims Hamas personnel seized army engineering equipment in southern Gaza
- Report: Hamas leaders meet Kushner in Egypt for talks on Gaza roadmap
- Settlers establish new outposts near Ramallah as Palestinian families in Qusra face access restrictions
- The empire below deck
- Israeli authorities issue eviction orders to more than 70 Palestinian families in Lod
- Lebanon says death toll from Israeli attacks since March exceeds 4,300
- Strait of Hormuz traffic comes to a near standstill as latest 48-hour data shows
- Families of Four Sumud Flotilla Activists Demand Release from Detention in Tunisia
- Saudi school curricula undergo major changes to references to Jerusalem and Israel
- Palestine research institute: Netanyahu uses Lebanese, Palestinian blood as a “winning election card”
- El Sisi stresses need to resolve regional crises to preserve stability in meeting with Kushner
- Hamas calls for full Israeli withdrawal from Gaza and end to killing of Palestinians
- Iraq’s electricity crisis: Fifty degrees of cold promises
- Israeli attacks kill Palestinian, injure several others in Gaza despite ceasefire
- Egypt’s Sisi meets Kushner for talks on Gaza ceasefire
- 8 countries condemn Israel’s rejection of roadmap to end Gaza war
- Pope renews call to end violence against Palestinians in occupied West Bank
- Saudi Arabia issues warning over ‘potential danger’ in Jazan province
- Turkiye, Saudi Arabia to expand renewable energy projects
- 150 Sudanese return home from Uganda under voluntary return program
- Egypt ‘will not allow’ any party to control Nile water flows: Egyptian source
- Most US voters say they are worse off under Trump: Poll
- Yemeni army launches 181 operations against Houthis in 24 hours
- Hamas delegation meets Egypt’s intelligence chief in Cairo for Gaza ceasefire talks
- Iran asks Qatar to allow military team to investigate fate of missing pilots
- 1st Syrian Airlines passenger flight in over 1.5 years arrives in Moscow
- Iranian parliament to debate foreign influence, Hormuz oversight bills
- Israeli army claims it killed senior Hezbollah commander in southern Lebanon
- US CENTCOM chief completes 10-day visit to Middle East
- Israel survey: 38% of Jewish Israelis support annexing West Bank, 22% favour ‘relocation’ of Palestinians to other countries
- Israeli forces raid Hebron, force Palestinians to close shops
- Can China turn energy dependence into diplomatic power in the Middle East?
- Hamas delegation led by al-Hayya heads to Cairo to discuss Gaza ceasefire agreement
- Israel’s escalation in southern Lebanon threatens to derail settlement efforts: Arab League
- Gulf allies growing frustrated with US over prolonged Iran war: Report
- Qatar rejects Iran’s claim it detained 3 fighter pilots after March attack
- Netanyahu’s office claims 3 Israeli soldiers wounded in Hezbollah attack near border
- Morocco detains 148 migrants after attempted mass crossing into Spain’s Ceuta

