This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Spain summoned Israel’s charge d’affaires on Wednesday after Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares condemned what he described as the “monstrous,” “inhumane” and “disgraceful” treatment of activists aboard a Gaza-bound flotilla, Anadolu reports.
In a video message shared on the US social media platform X, Albares said: “I have seen a horrific, inhumane and disgraceful video in which members of the flotilla were treated unjustly and humiliatingly by an Israeli minister and the police.”
Among them, he noted, were Spanish citizens on the flotilla, calling the incident “deeply alarming.”
“I repeat, this treatment is monstrous, it is disgraceful, it is inhumane,” Albares added, demanding “a public apology from Israel.”
The Spanish minister said Madrid had urgently summoned the Israeli charge d’affaires to convey Spain’s “complete rejection,” “utter condemnation” and “profound revulsion” over what he described as “abominable and unacceptable treatment.”
He also said Spain is seeking the immediate release of those aboard the flotilla and would contact other countries whose citizens were involved to coordinate possible measures.
Albares noted that Israel’s National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, who appears in the footage, had already been sanctioned by Spain and barred from entering the country.
“And soon the same thing will happen across the entire European Union,” he said.
Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez deplored the video in which the Israeli minister is “humiliating” flotilla participants as “unacceptable.”
In a X post, he said, “We will not tolerate anyone mistreating our citizens.”
He noted the national territory ban against Ben-Gvir that he announced in September. “Now we are going to push in Brussels for these sanctions to be elevated to the European scale on an urgent basis,” he wrote.
The remarks came after a video posted by Ben-Gvir showed detained activists zip-tied and forced to kneel after being detained by Israeli forces in international waters.
The Global Sumud humanitarian aid flotilla said on Tuesday that all 50 vessels in its aid convoy had been seized by Israel.
This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

- Hormuz closure could trigger global food price crisis within a year, UN agency warns
- Spain summons Israeli charge d’affaires for ‘monstrous’ treatment of Gaza flotilla activists
- Canada demands Israel ensure ‘safety and security of Canadians’ on Gaza-bound flotilla
- Poland demands ‘justice’ for its citizens after Israeli treatment of Gaza flotilla members, calls for consequences
- UN chief strongly condemns Israel’s decision to set up army base on UNRWA compound in East Jerusalem
- Debunking The Founding Myths of Israel | Palestine This Week with Mouin Rabbani
- Sovereignty, Palestine, and Power Vacuum: The Urgent Need for a United Arab Initiative
- Italy summons Israeli ambassador after Ben-Gvir filmed taunting Gaza flotilla detainees
- CAAP slams Israel participation in inter-American forum
- India’s Gulf Gamble in a Fragmenting Middle East
- Pro-Palestinian activists hold protest at Belgian university rectorate, demand full Israeli academic boycott
- Israel’s High Court gives aid groups 30 days to submit employee lists or cease operations
- Trump, Netanyahu hold ‘lengthy, dramatic’ call as decision on Iran nears: Israeli media
- Jewish groups launch new diaspora movement rejecting Israel’s ethno-nationalism
- Palestinian ministry condemns illumination of Ibrahimi Mosque in Israeli flag colors
- The Gulf Cooperation Council is shooting itself in the foot
- Sheikh Ekrima Sabri denies “terrorism” charges in Israeli court
- Israeli occupiers establish new illegal settlement outpost in West Bank’s Hebron
- Israel says Gaza aid flotilla attempt over; 430 activists transferred to its territory
- South Korea president urges review of ICC warrant for Netanyahu: Report
- Iran warns renewed attack by US and Israel could expand conflict beyond region
- As Trump met Xi, China was already sailing under Iran’s rules
- Global Sumud Flotilla activists begin hunger strike to protest their abduction by Israel
- Indonesia must respond more forcefully to Israel’s detention of its journalists at sea
- US imposes sanctions on aid flotilla activists, some based in Europe
- US claims bombed Iranian girls’ school was inside active missile site
- Smotrich announces retaliatory measures against Palestinian Authority after ICC developments
- Israeli forces burn several homes in Jenin refugee camp
- Iranian source claims Israel carried out drone attack on UAE
- UAE says drones targeting Barakah nuclear plant were launched from Iraqi territory
- Government Media Office warns of sharp decline in aid entering Gaza
- Hamas rejects Peace Council report on Gaza ceasefire implementation
- US lawmakers press CENTCOM chief on deadly Iran school strike
- Trump says he was hour from resuming Iran strikes before postponing offensive Monday
- Israel targets farmers with phosphorus shells in southern Lebanon
- UK foreign secretary warns world is ‘sleepwalking’ into food crisis over Strait of Hormuz
- Qatar backs US-Iran talks, calls for reopening of Hormuz Strait
- Palestinian Forum honours ‘Nakba witnesses’ in Britain, supported by Corbyn
- Israeli police bar foreign journalists critical of Israel: Report
- US says 88 commercial vessels redirected from transiting Strait of Hormuz
- Syrian soldier killed, others injured in car bombing in Damascus
- Global Sumud Flotilla says Israeli army vessels attacking Gaza aid fleet 2nd time
- Israeli army records sharp rise in sexual assault complaints in 2025: Report
- Iranian army warns of opening ‘new fronts’ if attacked again
- Israeli finance minister says ICC arrest warrant issued for him
- Dishonouring Palestinian memory of the Nakba at the UN
- How does the petrodollar finance and encourage the US’s bullying?
- Amnesty International condemns Israel’s move to block Gaza aid flotilla as “shameful and inhumane”
- Reports say RSF commander Abu Lulu returned to battlefield after release, group denies claim
- Beijing does not obey the empire, Tehran resists

