Iran says 60-day deadline ‘lost its relevance’ after US ‘violations’ of memorandum

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei holds a press conference at the ministry building in Tehran, Iran on August 18, 2025. [Ahmet Dursun – Anadolu Agency]

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said on Monday that the 60-day deadline for talks with the US following the June 17 memorandum of understanding “lost its relevance” after what he called “flagrant” violations by Washington, Anadolu reports.

“There is no provision in the memorandum of understanding referring to a ‘60-day deadline’, and the Islamic Republic of Iran never formulates its policies under pressure, ultimatums or time limits,” Baqaei told reporters at a weekly news conference, as cited by the semi-official Tasnim news agency.

The memorandum instead envisaged a 60-day period for negotiations on two issues — “the lifting of sanctions” and “the nuclear issue” — which could have been extended if no agreement was reached, he added.

“Due to the flagrant and widespread violation of the memorandum of understanding by the United States, no dialogue was started just a few weeks after its signing,” Baqaei said.

“As a result, the discussion of the 60-day deadline completely lost its relevance,” he added.

The spokesman claimed that the US sanctions have “no impact” on Iran, saying the main obstacle to resolving disputes between Tehran and Washington “is not a lack of mediators.”

“Countries such as Pakistan and Qatar are already playing a role in Iran-US relations,” Baqaei noted.

“It is also entirely natural for some European countries to express their views and indicate their readiness in bilateral contacts to offer their ‘good offices’,” he said. “But this does not mean that a new mediator has emerged or been accepted in the course of Iran-US relations.”

READ: Iran says it downed US-made MQ-9 drone over southern Hormozgan province

Hormuz transit

The Iranian spokesman said negotiations with Oman on a maritime transit in the Strait of Hormuz are continuing.

​​​​​​​”Compilation of the maritime traffic route map with Oman has taken time due to the security complications caused by the actions of the US and the Israeli regime, the multiplicity of actors and the disruption of malicious currents,” he added.

Baqaei said a possible understanding following talks with Muscat would take the form of a package comprising a roadmap and a joint statement.

The spokesman said the fate of missing Iranian pilots remains on Tehran’s agenda.

“Diplomatic relations with Qatar do not conflict with the serious pursuit of the fate of the army pilots,” he said.

On March 2, Qatar’s Defense Ministry announced that it had shot down two Su-24 aircraft from Iran. Tehran said at the time that four pilots were killed when their aircraft were hit during attacks on a US base in Qatar. Iran also said the remains of one pilot had since been recovered, while the fate of the other three pilots remained unknown.

On Saturday, Qatar rejected Iranian accusations that the three pilots had been detained by Doha.

The US and Israel launched attacks on Iran on Feb. 28, with Tehran launching retaliatory strikes targeting countries hosting US military assets across the region.

Tehran and Washington agreed to a ceasefire in April and subsequently signed a memorandum of understanding in June aimed at ending their military conflict and reaching a lasting peace agreement.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​The deal, however, collapsed last month, with Iran and the US exchanging attacks for nearly two weeks before US President Donald Trump abruptly halted the bombardment amid efforts to revive the agreement.

READ: Iranian parliament to debate foreign influence, Hormuz oversight bills

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
Donald Trump explains why he established his Bored of Peace
Donald Trump explains why he established his Bored of Peace
Orcas discuss how Trump was re-elected and him being an obviously insane, xenophobic Fascist.
Orcas discuss how Trump was re-elected and him being an obviously insane, xenophobic Fascist.

Continue ReadingIran says 60-day deadline ‘lost its relevance’ after US ‘violations’ of memorandum

Strait of Hormuz traffic comes to a near standstill as latest 48-hour data shows

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

A screen grab taken from a video shows commercial vessels waiting in the Gulf of Oman after applying for transit permits to pass through the Strait of Hormuz, on June 4, 2026. [Stringer – Anadolu Agency]

Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz slowed sharply at the start of the week following attacks on oil tankers, as US-Iran talks aimed at resolving the conflict in the Middle East stalled, according to Reuters

Ship-tracking data from Kpler showed that only five commodity vessels passed through the strait on Saturday, while none were recorded on Sunday, compared with 31 vessels over the previous weekend, Reuters added. 

An Iranian official earlier said the United States had suffered major strategic losses during the latest military confrontations, stressing that the Strait of Hormuz would remain under Iranian control. 

Kazem Gharibabadi, Iran’s deputy foreign minister, stated that the United States has sustained significant strategic losses, urging Washington to accept this reality and abandon its illusions. He warned that failure to do so would result in Iran continuing to enforce the naval blockade.

READ: Iranian parliament to debate foreign influence, Hormuz oversight bills

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
Donald Trump explains why he established his Bored of Peace
Donald Trump explains why he established his Bored of Peace
Orcas discuss how Trump was re-elected and him being an obviously insane, xenophobic Fascist.
Orcas discuss how Trump was re-elected and him being an obviously insane, xenophobic Fascist.

Continue ReadingStrait of Hormuz traffic comes to a near standstill as latest 48-hour data shows

Lebanese president calls for extending mandate of UN peacekeeping forces in south

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun at Baabda Presidential Place on November 30, 2025 in Beirut, Lebanon. [Stringer – Anadolu Agency]

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun called Monday for extending the mandate of the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), saying its presence serves stability in the country’s south, Anadolu reports.

“The UNIFIL presence in the south is important in many respects, and helps keep residents in their villages and towns, and strengthens stability in cooperation and coordination with the Lebanese army,” Aoun said during a meeting with a parliamentary delegation, as cited by a presidency statement.

“Our first option is to extend UNIFIL’s mandate,” he said. “If its mandate is not extended, the second option is to adopt a formula that ensures the continued presence of international forces in the south, within the required legal framework.”

Aoun said these forces will help support stability, in cooperation with the Lebanese army.

READ: Lebanon PM rejects Israel’s claim destroyed southern villages were military sites

The Lebanese president said Israel rejects UNIFIL’s presence and “has been pressing in that direction for nearly a year.”

“Lebanon, meanwhile, continues to demand UNIFIL to stay,” he added.

“The basic idea is to achieve a breakthrough that ensures the continued international presence in the south, whether through extending UNIFIL’s mandate or through international forces that support it, in a way that preserves stability and strengthens the role of the state and the Lebanese army,” he said.

​​​​​​​UNIFIL has been deployed since 1978 to monitor the ceasefire along the Lebanese-Israeli border and support the Lebanese Armed Forces in southern Lebanon. Its mandate is set to expire on Dec. 31, 2026.

It comes amid tensions along the Lebanese-Israeli border since Israel launched deadly attacks on Lebanon, killing more than 4,300 people, injuring over 12,300 and displacing more than 1 million

READ: Lebanon says death toll from Israeli attacks since March exceeds 4,300

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
Donald Trump explains why he established his Bored of Peace
Donald Trump explains why he established his Bored of Peace
Orcas discuss how Trump was re-elected and him being an obviously insane, xenophobic Fascist.
Orcas discuss how Trump was re-elected and him being an obviously insane, xenophobic Fascist.

Continue ReadingLebanese president calls for extending mandate of UN peacekeeping forces in south

Billionaire Google Co-Founder Pumps $102 Million Into Fighting California Wealth Tax

Article by Jake Johnson republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0).

Rally attendees cheer during an event supporting the California Billionaire Tax Act in Los Angeles on February 18, 2026.  (Photo by Patrick T. Fallon/AFP via Getty Images)

“Sergey Brin would rather spend $100 million to fund a shady opposition campaign than simply pay his fair share in taxes so millions of Californians don’t lose their healthcare.”

Google co-founder Sergey Brin, one of the richest men in the world, has spent more than $100 million backing a group seeking to stop a popular California ballot initiative that would impose a one-time tax on the wealth of the state’s billionaires.

New filings reported by The Los Angeles Times detail Brin’s role in funding Building a Better California, which is pushing two ballot measures that would undercut and potentially nullify the proposed billionaire wealth tax. Building a Better California is also spending directly against the proposed tax, pumping at least $5 million into “no” efforts.

RECOMMENDED…

California billionaire tax

‘Major Momentum’ as California Democratic Party Endorses Billionaire Wealth Tax

Troy Jackson, the Democratic US Senate candidate for Maine,

Troy Jackson Slams ‘Failed Trillionaire Elon Musk’ as Billionaires Dump Millions Into Maine US Senate Race

If passed, revenue from the 5% billionaire wealth tax would be used to offset federal Medicaid cuts and bolster the state’s education system. The proposal will be on California’s November ballot as Proposition 40, and the two billionaire-backed initiatives are Propositions 41 and 42.

Debru Carthan, the vice president of Service Employees International Union-United Healthcare Workers West, said in a statement that “California billionaire Sergey Brin would rather spend $100 million to fund a shady opposition campaign than simply pay his fair share in taxes so millions of Californians don’t lose their healthcare.”

“That’s shameful,” Carthan added. “Billionaires already pay much lower tax rates than what working families pay out of every paycheck.”

Proposition 40 has been endorsed by the California Federation of Labor Unions, the California Nurses Association, and the California Democratic Party, as well as prominent progressive lawmakers such as Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.).

But the measure has drawn opposition from powerful forces in California, including Gov. Gavin Newsom, the California Chamber of Commerce, and the California Teachers Association.

Brin is not the only billionaire financing efforts to defeat the proposed wealth tax in California, which is home to more billionaires than any other US state. Ripple Labs co-founder Chris Larsen, PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel, and venture capitalist Ron Conway have also spent against the ballot initiative.

Economists Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman have estimated that, between 2019 and 2025, California’s billionaires paid on average just 0.26% of their wealth each year in state income taxes.

“For the very richest individuals, the effective burden was even lower. The four wealthiest Californians—Mr. Brin, Mr. Huang, Mr. Page and Mr. Zuckerberg—paid an average of just 0.07% of their wealth annually in California income tax over that period,” Saez and Zucman wrote. “This trailblazing wealth tax would be a small (for the ultrawealthy) but important (for everyone else) step toward raising needed tax revenue and curbing the state’s runaway inequality.”

Article by Jake Johnson republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0).

Orcas discuss Donald Trump and the killer apes' concept of democracy. Front Orca warns that Trump is crashing his country's economy and that everything he does he does for the fantastically wealthy.
Orcas discuss Donald Trump and the killer apes’ concept of democracy. Front Orca warns that Trump is crashing his country’s economy and that everything he does he does for the fantastically wealthy.
Climate science denier Donald Trump confirms that he knows nothing about democracy and that more liquid gold is being secured according to his policy of global privateering.
Climate science denier Donald Trump confirms that he knows nothing about democracy and that more liquid gold is being secured according to his policy of global privateering.
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up
Continue ReadingBillionaire Google Co-Founder Pumps $102 Million Into Fighting California Wealth Tax

‘Brazen Act of Self-Dealing’: Trump Regulator Approves Trump Family Crypto Firm’s Bank Application

Article by Jake Johnson republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0).

Eric Trump, Donald Trump Jr., and others ring the Nasdaq opening bell on August 13, 2025 in New York City. (Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

“We have never seen financial conflicts or corruption of this magnitude.”

The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, a regulatory agency whose leader was chosen by President Donald Trump, granted preliminary approval on Friday to World Liberty Financial’s application for a federal bank charter.

World Liberty Financial is a crypto venture launched in 2024 by the president’s two eldest sons, Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, and several partners. The firm’s website states that WLF is 38% owned by “an entity affiliated with Donald J. Trump and certain of his family members.”

RECOMMENDED…

Elon Musk Holds Town Hall Ahead Hotly Contested Wisconsin State Supreme Court Election

Trump Admin Permanently Guts Law ‘Designed to Stop Criminals from Laundering Money’ After Push From Elon Musk

US Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) speaks during a congressional hearing on June 10, 2026.

Raskin Launches Probe of Scheme to Sell Insider Access to Trump Truth Social Posts

WLF applied for a US bank charter in January, drawing alarm from lawmakers and watchdogs who said the review process would be rife with conflicts of interest. “We have never seen financial conflicts or corruption of this magnitude,” Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), the top Democrat on the Senate Banking Committee, said at the time.

The OCC, headed by Jonathan Gould, announced the approval decision in a letter published Friday. WLF’s application was assessed by career OCC staff, the agency said.

“The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) has reviewed your application to establish a new national trust bank, which will engage in operations of a trust company and activities related thereto, including fiduciary activities, with the title of World Liberty Trust Company, National Association,” the letter states. “The OCC hereby grants preliminary conditional approval of your charter application upon determining that your proposal meets certain regulatory and policy requirements.”

In response to the news, Warren wrote on social media that “this is the most brazen act of self-dealing our financial system has ever seen.”

Reuters reported that the charter, if finalized, would allow World Liberty’s “to directly issue its USD1 stablecoin, as well as custody the US dollar assets backing it, both of which are now handled by a business partner, BitGo.”

“Hoping to capitalize on the Trump administration’s crypto-friendly stance, the industry has been knocking on the OCC’s door for such charters,” Reuters noted. “They allow crypto companies to hold assets on behalf of clients nationwide under a single federal charter, as well as to provide other settlement and asset servicing functions—making it easier to court major institutional clients. Other crypto firms, including Ripple and Circle, have received preliminary approval for such charters under Comptroller Jonathan Gould.”

World Liberty Financial welcomed the OCC’s preliminary approval as “a milestone in a multi-step chartering process.” The firm said in a press release that the newly formed bank’s board would be chaired by Zach Witkoff, the son of Trump’s special envoy to the Middle East.

Last year, Trump reaped around $527 million in proceeds from token sales by WLF, according to financial disclosures released in late June.

“They are making sure they are rich beyond their wildest dreams long after Trump departs the White House (if he departs the White House),” journalist Mehdi Hasan wrote in response to the OCC decision. “It’s so openly and nakedly and obviously corrupt, I’m not sure it can be overstated.”

Article by Jake Johnson republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0).

Orcas discuss Donald Trump and the killer apes' concept of democracy. Front Orca warns that Trump is crashing his country's economy and that everything he does he does for the fantastically wealthy.
Orcas discuss Donald Trump and the killer apes’ concept of democracy. Front Orca warns that Trump is crashing his country’s economy and that everything he does he does for the fantastically wealthy.
Climate science denier Donald Trump confirms that he knows nothing about democracy and that more liquid gold is being secured according to his policy of global privateering.
Climate science denier Donald Trump confirms that he knows nothing about democracy and that more liquid gold is being secured according to his policy of global privateering.
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up

Continue Reading‘Brazen Act of Self-Dealing’: Trump Regulator Approves Trump Family Crypto Firm’s Bank Application