‘Syria is Gaza on steroids’: Israeli minister says war with Damascus is ‘absolute certainty’

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Israel Minister of Diaspora Affairs Amichai Chikli. [Shahar Azran/Getty Images]

“Syria is Gaza on steroids, and that is the next war, with absolute certainty”, said Amichai Chikli Israeli Diaspora Affairs Minister. “There is no avoiding it.” 

Chikli’s remarks come as Israel is already waging military campaigns across multiple fronts in the region, including Palestine, Lebanon, Syria and Iran, while carrying out attacks elsewhere in the Middle East. Israeli leaders have themselves described the conflict as a war on seven fronts

The remarks are not the first time Chikli has openly threatened war against Damascus. In June, he said Israel would wage war on Syria “sooner or later”, claiming that Syria and Turkiye posed a greater challenge to Israel than Iran. “We will wage war on Syria, sooner or later, because it and Turkiye are far more worrying than Iran,” Chikli said at the time.  

Chikli’s latest threat comes as Israeli forces already occupy Syrian territory and carry out repeated incursions into the country. Following the fall of Bashar Al-Assad’s government in December 2024, Israel declared the 1974 Disengagement Agreement void, moved into the UN-monitored buffer zone adjoining the occupied Syrian Golan Heights and established military positions deeper inside southern Syria. 

Israeli operations have continued despite the new Syrian leadership repeatedly signalling that it does not seek war with Israel. Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa has called for Israeli forces to return to the positions they held before Assad’s fall, while Israel has demanded a demilitarised zone extending through much of southern Syria.  

READ: Katz says Israel to remain in ‘security zones’ in Lebanon, Syria, & Gaza

Only days before Chikli’s comments, Israeli troops again entered Quneitra province, erected checkpoints and searched civilians and vehicles. Israeli forces have conducted repeated raids, searches, arrests and artillery attacks across southern Syria in recent months. On Friday, Syrian state media reported that Israeli forces opened fire towards civilian homes in the Daraa countryside, forcing some residents to flee.  

The declaration that another war is an “absolute certainty” comes as Israel’s aggression has expanded across multiple fronts. Israel continues to control territory illegally in Palestine, has seized a swathe of southern Lebanon following its latest war with Hezbollah and occupies additional Syrian land beyond the Golan Heights. Israel also launched a major war against Iran alongside the US earlier this year.  

In Lebanon, Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said this week that Israeli troops would remain in what Israel calls a “security zone” until Hezbollah is disarmed, ordering the army to prepare for an “extended presence”. Washington responded that a permanent Israeli military presence in southern Lebanon would contradict commitments made under the US-backed agreement with Beirut.  

Israel’s increasingly aggressive regional posture is widely seen as a contributing factor in the reordering of security relations across the Middle East. Last week, Saudi Arabia, Turkiye and Pakistan signed the landmark Mecca Joint Defence Agreement, under which an armed attack against one of the three countries will be regarded as an attack against all.  

The pact brings together three of the Muslim world’s most consequential military powers: NATO member Turkiye, nuclear-armed Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, the region’s largest Arab economy. Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan has compared its collective-defence provision to NATO’s Article 5, under which an attack against one member is treated as an attack against all.  

READ: Israeli army opens fire on civilian areas in Daraa, southern Syria: State TV

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it's fun to kill everyone ... unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it’s fun to kill everyone … unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up

Continue Reading‘Syria is Gaza on steroids’: Israeli minister says war with Damascus is ‘absolute certainty’

Lebanese PM, speaker urge clear timetable for Israeli withdrawal

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

A view from Christian-majority border towns of Kawkaba and Ebel as-Saqi in the Marjayoun and Hasbaya districts of Lebanon on July 06, 2026. [Ramiz Dallah – Anadolu Agency]

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam and Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri discussed the military track of the negotiation framework and developments in southern Lebanon with US officials on Friday, Anadolu reports.

The Lebanese Presidency of the Council of Ministers said in a statement that Salam received US Ambassador to Beirut Michel Issa and Gen. Joseph Clearfield, head of the military coordination group for Lebanon.

The meeting addressed the military track of the negotiation framework, along with the latest developments in southern Lebanon, the presidency added.

“Salam stressed the need for Israel to stop destruction operations, expand the scope of pilot areas, and set a clear timetable for Israeli withdrawal from Lebanese territory,” the statement said.

In a related development, Berri met in Beirut with the US ambassador and Clearfield, his office said.

According to a statement from Berri’s office, the meeting discussed conditions in southern Lebanon and the group’s work following the start of identifying “pilot areas,” as well as the mechanism for verifying an Israeli withdrawal and deploying the Lebanese army.

“Israel has not stopped its violations and attacks on Lebanon,” Berri said, pointing to the continued destruction of villages, bulldozing of fields and agricultural areas, burning of forested areas, and targeting of heritage sites.

READ: Lebanon banker exposed as major force behind normalisation drive with Israel

“The key to stability remains forcing Israel to stop its war and withdraw to the international border,” Berri added.

After the meeting, the US ambassador described the atmosphere as “positive.”

Issa told reporters that negotiations between Lebanon and Israel “will continue,” without specifying a date for the next round, according to the statement.

Discussions on expanding the “pilot areas” would follow an evaluation of the current areas, while consultations were still ongoing on countries that would participate in the monitoring mechanism, he added.

On Thursday, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said Tel Aviv would not withdraw from Lebanon unless Hezbollah is disarmed.

Speaking at a ceremony, Katz said the Israeli army currently controls 700 square kilometers of Lebanese territory, about 7% of Lebanon’s total area, according to Israel’s Channel 7.

On Wednesday, a US State Department official said a permanent Israeli military presence in southern Lebanon would contradict commitments included in the framework agreement and would not serve peace.

Israel has continued its assault on Lebanon since March 2, killing 4,335 people and injuring 12,277 others, while displacing more than 1 million, according to Lebanese authorities.

Israel occupies areas in southern Lebanon, some for decades and others since the previous war between 2023 and 2024. During the current assault, it has advanced more than 10 kilometers into Lebanese territory.

READ: Israeli army attacks southern Lebanon, demolishes buildings despite framework deal

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it's fun to kill everyone ... unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it’s fun to kill everyone … unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up

UK signs $22M agreement to support Lebanese army, security forces

Continue ReadingLebanese PM, speaker urge clear timetable for Israeli withdrawal

Israeli occupier opens fire at Palestinian, Israeli peace activists in southern West Bank

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Palestinians and foreign activists gather to protest in support of their land, which they say is under threat of being seized by Israelis, and to express their determination not to leave their properties in Beit Sahour, Hebron Governorate, West Bank, on August 14, 2026. [Mamoun Wazwaz – Anadolu Agency]

An armed Israeli occupier opened fire Friday at Palestinian and Israeli peace activists during a joint event near Beit Sahour in the southern occupied West Bank, with no injuries reported, an Israeli group said, Anadolu reports.

Combatants for Peace, a left-wing Israeli organization, said in a statement that the shooting took place during a joint activity organized by its activists and Palestinian landowners on the outskirts of Beit Sahour, near Bethlehem.

“Heavily armed settlers opened fire in our direction to force us to leave. The army quickly intervened, not to stop the settlers, but to push our group of activists and journalists out of the area, while the settlers were allowed to stay,” the statement said.

No injuries were reported.

The group said the event was attended by representatives of the Beit Sahour municipality, along with Bishop William Shomali, a senior official of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem.

Combatants for Peace published videos it said documented the incident, including one showing an occupier firing into the air before pointing his weapon toward the participants, while gunfire could be heard in another clip.

READ: Palestinian Christian-majority Taybeh in occupied West Bank caught between Israeli army restrictions, occupier attacks

The group said Israeli army forces arrived at the scene around 30 minutes after the shooting began, and the activity ended without injuries.

“Activists went to Beit Sahour to provide a protective presence to the local residents. While we were there, heavily armed settlers fired shots in our direction,” the group said.

It said Palestinians, Israelis and journalists were among the participants, calling for an immediate investigation into the incident.

“Despite the threats, we will continue to show up, ensure Palestinians safe access to their land, and support their resilience through collective action,” the group said.

The event was held to protest attempts to displace Palestinians from their land and rising settler attacks in the West Bank.

Combatants for Peace includes Palestinian and Israeli activists who call for an end to the occupation and achieving peace between the two peoples.

On Wednesday, the UN warned that occupier violence in the West Bank had reached unprecedented levels, saying it had documented more than 1,430 attacks since the start of 2026 targeting around 260 Palestinian communities.

The attacks, alongside demolitions and evictions, displaced 3,800 Palestinians, about half of them children, according to the UN.​​​​​​​

READ: Palestinians, foreign and Israeli activists protest in West Bank town, head to besieged homes by Israeli occupiers

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it's fun to kill everyone ... unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it’s fun to kill everyone … unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up

Continue ReadingIsraeli occupier opens fire at Palestinian, Israeli peace activists in southern West Bank

Iran says it downed US-made MQ-9 drone over southern Hormozgan province

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

A U.S. Air Force MQ-9 Reaper drone flies a training mission over the Nevada Test and Training Range, in Nevada, United States. [USAF – William Rio Rosado – Anadolu Agency]

Iran said Friday that its forces had intercepted and destroyed an US-made MQ-9 drone over the southern province of Hormozgan.

“An MQ-9 drone was intercepted and shot down over Iran’s Hormuzgan Province by the IRGC’s new advanced air defense system,” state broadcaster Press TV reported.

Citing three officials, The Washington Post reported Thursday that the US military has lost at least 45 MQ-9 Reaper drones, or roughly 25% of its fleet, during its war with Iran.

The losses involve an aircraft used for surveillance and targeted strikes that can cost between $30 million and $50 million depending on its equipment, according to the report.

The newspaper said the potential cost of the lost Reapers exceeds $1.3 billion.

READ: US says lower oil prices now top priority over Iran nuclear issue

The drones have been heavily used around the Strait of Hormuz but are “relatively easy targets” for Iran and its proxies because they fly slowly and often at low altitudes, it said.

Hormozgan province overlooks the Strait of Hormuz and includes the port city of Bandar Abbas.

The US and Iran agreed to a Pakistan-brokered ceasefire in April and later signed a deal on June 17, launching negotiations toward a final agreement. But the talks later stalled over disagreements on security guarantees and freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most strategic routes for global energy supplies and trade.

On July 8-24, the US and Iran exchanged more military strikes, with Washington launching attacks on targets inside Iran. Tehran responded by striking what it described as US military facilities and equipment in several Arab countries, including Jordan, Bahrain, and Kuwait.

READ: US CENTCOM chief pushing for renewed strikes on Iran, claims Israeli media

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it's fun to kill everyone ... unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it’s fun to kill everyone … unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up

Continue ReadingIran says it downed US-made MQ-9 drone over southern Hormozgan province

3 Palestinian fishermen injured by Israeli naval fire off Gaza City despite ceasefire

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Palestinian fishermen in the az-Zawayda area of Gaza cast their nets along the shore to sustain their livelihoods despite fishing equipment damaged in attacks, as they continue working under the threat of frequent Israeli military strikes in Deir Al Balah, Palestine on March 31, 2026. [Hassan Jedi – Anadolu Agency]

Three Palestinian fishermen were injured Friday when Israeli naval vessels opened fire on them while they were working off the coast of Gaza City, a local union official said, Anadolu reports.

The attack was the latest Israeli violation of a ceasefire agreement in effect in the Gaza Strip since Oct. 10, 2025.

The violations have killed 1,260 Palestinians and injured 4,154 others, according to Palestinian figures.

Zakaria Bakr, coordinator of the Fishermen’s Committees Union in Gaza, said in a Facebook post that Israeli naval vessels fired machine guns at a fishing boat, injuring three fishermen.

Bakr said the incident came amid continuing attacks against Gaza’s fishermen that endanger their lives and deprive them of their livelihoods.

READ: MSF warns restrictions on engine oil and spare parts entering Gaza threaten vital services

Gaza’s fishermen have faced Israeli restrictions on access to the sea since the start of Israel’s war in October 2023.

A UN report on July 2 said the Israeli navy continued to prevent Gaza residents from accessing the sea despite the ceasefire.

The fishing industry has suffered extensive damage, including to Gaza’s port, boats and equipment.

The UN Food and Agriculture Organization has said recovery of the sector requires safe access to the sea.

The Israeli onslaught has killed 73,389 Palestinians and injured 174,266 others since October 2023, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.

Despite the ceasefire, Israeli attacks have continued across Gaza, causing further casualties and damage to homes.

READ: Trump adviser, Board of Peace envoy to visit Israel for talks on US Gaza plan: Report

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it's fun to kill everyone ... unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it’s fun to kill everyone … unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up

Continue Reading3 Palestinian fishermen injured by Israeli naval fire off Gaza City despite ceasefire