Trump Says US Fighting Iran War ‘To Help Israel… Saudi Arabia… Qatar… UAE… Kuwait’—China Too

Spread the love

Article by Stephen Prager republished form Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). 

US President Donald Trump holds a press conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at his Mar-a-Lago club on December 29, 2025, in Palm Beach, Florida. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

“Trump again says the quiet part out loud—America entered the Iran war to support a genocidal ethno-state and brutal absolute autocracies, all of whom are his political and commercial financiers.”

During his campaign for reelection, one of President Donald Trump’s central pitches was that the US needed to stay out of foreign wars in order to prioritize “America first.”

But his decision to join Israel and launch a massive war with Iran, which has caused turmoil across the American economy, has left many voters rather skeptical of these motivations, believing the war benefits other nations—particularly Israel—more than the US.

RECOMMENDED…

'We Can Tell': Trump Confesses He Doesn't 'Think About Americans' Financial Situation' When It Comes to Iran War

‘We Can Tell’: Trump Confesses He Doesn’t ‘Think About Americans’ Financial Situation’ When It Comes to Iran War

Pete Hegseth

Trump Cries ‘Virtual Treason’ as US News Outlets Detail Iran War Intel Assessments

That perception has not been assuaged by statements from officials like Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who acknowledged in the early days of the war that a so-called “imminent threat” to the US only existed because Israel had planned to attack, or by the president’s recent comment that he doesn’t “think about Americans’ financial situation” regarding the war.

In an interview with Sean Hannity on Fox News on Thursday, Trump appeared to further affirm that the Iran invasion’s impact on his own country is far from top-of-mind.

Trump was asked by Hannity about his weekslong effort to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, which Iran closed in response to the war’s launch, causing a spike in global oil prices that has hit the US. Reopening the strait has become one of Trump’s main demands as he pushes for a deal with Iran, even though it was open before the war began.

But Trump said on Thursday that other countries “need the strait more than we need it open.” He cited his administration’s aggressive expansion of oil drilling, which he has claimed would make the US more resilient to the oil shock, although it hasn’t been enough to stop gas prices from soaring above $4.50/gallon on average.

“We don’t need it at all,” Trump said, to which Hannity responded incredulously, “We don’t need it at all?”

“We don’t need it at all,” Trump reiterated. “I mean, you could make the case, you know, like why are we even, we’re doing it to help Israel, and to help Saudi Arabia, and to help Qatar and [the United Arab Emirates] and, you know, Kuwait and other countries, Bahrain—”

Hannity interjected: “It also helps China.”

Speaking of his summit this week with Chinese leaders, including President Xi Jinping, Trump said: “Actually, I told him today, I said, ‘You know, we’re helping you, and we’re helping you in another way,’ because I don’t think they want, I don’t think China wants Iran to have a nuclear weapon either.’”

Trump’s director of national intelligence, Tulsi Gabbardtestified in a written statement to Congress in March that Iran had not tried to rebuild its nuclear enrichment capability after earlier US and Israeli attacks last June, which undercut one of the administration’s primary rationales for war.

Trump’s former National Counterterrorism Center director, Joe Kent, said last week that the US intelligence community agreed in the days leading up to the war that “Iran wasn’t developing a nuclear weapon,” but said that these assessments were undermined by persuasion from “a foreign government—Israel,” which “won the argument and forced us into this war.”

Many of the US’s Persian Gulf allies have publicly tried to distance themselves from the war, especially in the face of retaliation from Iran. But The Associated Press has reported that countries like the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Bahrain have pushed Trump behind the scenes to continue escalating the war in an effort to weaken Iran militarily and force more permanent changes to the regime.

Some have noted the Trump family’s close personal ties to the Gulf regimes—from his family’s cryptocurrency venture which is buoyed by a $500 million investment from a powerful member of Abu Dhabi’s ruling family; to his son in law Jared Kushner’s private equity firm, which has received $2 billion from Saudi Arabia’s public investment fund; to his real estate empire which has lucrative Trump-branded properties popping up across the region.

Independent journalist Borzou Daragahi said that with his latest comments, “Trump again says the quiet part out loud—America entered the Iran war to support a genocidal ethno-state and brutal absolute autocracies, all of whom are his political and commercial financiers.”

Article by Stephen Prager republished form Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). 

Continue ReadingTrump Says US Fighting Iran War ‘To Help Israel… Saudi Arabia… Qatar… UAE… Kuwait’—China Too

‘Reporting Isn’t Treason’: Trump Rant at Journalists Sparks Alarm

Spread the love

Article by Brad Reed republished form Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). 

President Donald Trump briefs reporters after he concluded his trip to Beijing aboard Air Force One on May 15, 2026 as he returns to the United States.
 (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

“No American should be comfortable with the president of the United States accusing a reporter of treason for critical reporting.”

President Donald Trump on Friday sparked alarm among press freedom advocates when he accused New York Times reported David Sanger of committing “treason” for portraying his illegal war with Iran in a negative light.

Speaking with journalists aboard Air Force One on his flight home from China, Trump was asked by Sanger about his failure to accomplish political changes in Iran that he swore to achieve when he launched the war without congressional authorization in late February.

RECOMMENDED…

Pete Hegseth

Trump Cries ‘Virtual Treason’ as US News Outlets Detail Iran War Intel Assessments

Acting US Attorney General Todd Blanche and FBI Director Kash Patel

‘Effort to Stifle and Intimidate’: Trump DOJ Subpoenas News Outlets Over Iran War Coverage

“I had a total military victory,” Trump replied. “But the fake news, guys like you, write incorrectly. You’re a fake guy, and guys like you write incorrectly. We had a total military victory. We knocked out their entire navy, we knocked out their entire air force, we knocked out all their anti-aircraft weaponry.”

Despite this purported “total victory,” however, Iran still controls the Strait of Hormuz and has prevented commercial vessels from traveling through it for the last two months.

After attacking the Times’ reporting about the Iran War, the president pivoted to impugning Sanger’s patriotism.

“I actually think it’s sort of treasonous what you write,” the president said. “You and The New York Times, and CNN, I would say, are the worst… You should be ashamed of yourself. I actually think it’s treason.”

The Times on Tuesday reported that the Trump administration’s “public portrayal of a shattered Iranian military is sharply at odds with what US intelligence agencies are telling policymakers behind closed doors, according to classified assessments from early this month that show Iran has regained access to most of its missile sites, launchers, and underground facilities.”

Hours after the president’s tirade against Sanger—which echoed Trump’s previous remarks about media coverage of the war—New York Times spokesperson Charlie Stadtlander released a statement defending its reporting on the Iran war.

“Reporting isn’t treason,” Stadtlander said. “It’s foundational to a free press and the work that America’s founders wrote the First Amendment to protect. That includes making clear when the claims of government officials and the reality of their actions don’t line up… We will continue this important, constitutionally protected work.”

Trump’s treason accusation also drew a rebuke from Will Creeley, legal director of the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, who said that “no American should be comfortable with the president of the United States accusing a reporter of treason for critical reporting.”

New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof argued that Trump’s attack on Sanger was really a sign of weakness given the failures of his military campaign against Iran.

“President Trump unloading on David Sander reflects a combination of anxiety, insecurity, and desperation about the Iran War,” Kristof wrote. “David is the dean of national security reporters: experienced, meticulous, and fair. Blaming the messenger underscores that the reality itself is pretty bad.”

Kristof’s sentiment was echoed by former ABC News journalist Terry Moran, who wrote that he can’t “understand how anyone can see Trump here and not see weakness.”

Former Republican Illinois Congressman Joe Walsh said Trump’s interaction with Sanger exposed him as “the biggest fucking crybaby in all of human history.”

Article by Brad Reed republished form Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). 

Continue Reading‘Reporting Isn’t Treason’: Trump Rant at Journalists Sparks Alarm

UK deploys low-cost anti-drone missile system to Middle East

Spread the love

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Eurofighter Typhoon jet from the UK’s Royal Air Force lands at Murted Air Base in Ankara for inspection by Turkish officials on December 18, 2024 [Turkish Defense Ministry/Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images]

Britain has deployed a new low-cost missile system to the Middle East in a move aimed at strengthening protection against drone attacks targeting “UK forces, citizens and regional partners,” Anadolu reports.

The Ministry of Defense said in a statement on Saturday that the Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (APKWS) has now been fitted to RAF Typhoon fighter jets operating in the region, allowing the aircraft to destroy drones and other threats at “a fraction of the price” of the missiles currently in use.

“The system has now been deployed on operations in the Middle East with sorties flown by 9 Squadron RAF Typhoon fighter jets as part of the missions to defend British people, interests and partners from threats,” it noted.

READ: US outlines 5 conditions for Iran deal: Report

Luke Pollard, the minister for defense readiness and industry, said: “This has been a superb effort working with industry to test and deploy this system in a matter of months, which will help the RAF shoot down many more drones at a much lower cost.”

He added: “Our Typhoon fleet is the backbone of the UK and NATO air defense, with the RAF protecting Europe’s Eastern flank from Russian drone incursions and defending our partners across the Middle East.”

The APKWS uses a laser targeting system to convert unguided missiles into precision-guided weapons capable of engaging drones and other airborne threats.

The ministry said the development of lower-cost air defense systems would provide a more sustainable response to the growing use of drones in modern conflicts.

READ: UK to deploy drones, fighter jets, warship for future Hormuz security mission

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel's genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism "without qualification". Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel’s genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism “without qualification”. Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/

Continue ReadingUK deploys low-cost anti-drone missile system to Middle East

International Criminal Court issues secret arrest warrants for 5 Israeli officials: Report

Spread the love

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

A general view of the International Criminal Court (ICC) building in The Hague, Netherlands on April 30, 2024. [Selman Aksünger – Anadolu Agency]

The International Criminal Court (ICC) issued secret arrest warrants against five Israeli officials, including three politicians and two military personnel, Israeli newspaper Haaretz said on Sunday, Anadolu reports.

The report came as The Hague-based court already issued arrest warrants in November 2024 against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Israeli Defense Minister Gallant for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza.

There has been no immediate statement from the ICC regarding the report. If confirmed, this would bring to seven the number of Israeli officials facing arrests by the court.

The Israeli army has killed more than 72,000 people, mostly women and children, and injured over 172,000 in a two-year war on the Gaza Strip since October 2023.

The army continues its attacks despite a ceasefire that took effect on Oct. 10, 2025, killing over 870 people and injuring more than 2,540 others, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.

READ: ICC rejects Israel’s appeal as arrest warrants for Netanyahu, Gallant remain in force

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel's genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism "without qualification". Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel’s genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism “without qualification”. Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/

Continue ReadingInternational Criminal Court issues secret arrest warrants for 5 Israeli officials: Report