Iran strikes damaged 16 US military sites in Middle East, report claims

Spread the love

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Smoke rises after Iran carried out a missile strike on the main headquarters of the U.S. Navy’s 5th Fleet in Manama in retaliation against US-Israeli attacks, in Bahrain February 28, 2026. [Stringer – Anadolu Agency]

Iran and its allies struck no fewer than 16 US military sites in eight countries across the Middle East in the latest military conflict, leaving some of them “virtually unusable,” CNN reported on Friday citing sources.

The report was based on dozens of satellite images and interviews with sources from the US and Gulf Arab countries, and the affected facilities make up the “majority of US military positions” in the region.

“There has been a spectrum of assessments,” one source said. “From a pretty dramatic side, of the whole facility is destroyed and needs to be shut down, to leaders who say these things are worth repairing due to the strategic benefit they give the US.”

READ: US says it redirected 48th vessel from Iranian ports

Satellite images showed that Tehran’s main targets included advanced radar systems, communications systems and aircraft. Many of those assets are expensive and difficult to replace.

“It’s notable they really identified those facilities as the most cost-effective targets to hit,” the source said. “Our radar systems (are) our most expensive and our most limited resources in the region.”

On Wednesday, Pentagon comptroller Jules “Jay” Hurst III told lawmakers that the war in Iran has cost the US about $25 billion so far. However, a source later told CNN that the actual figure is likely closer to $40-50 billion.

The war is currently on a halt and efforts to end it permanently continue. US President Donald Trump on Friday said “Iran isn’t coming through with the kind of deal that we have to have.”

READ: Iranian foreign minister says US ‘lying’ about war cost, claims $100B burden

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel's genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism "without qualification". Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel’s genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism “without qualification”. Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it's fun to kill everyone ...
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it’s fun to kill everyone …
Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Strait of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don't need people to join wars after they've already won. He's challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.
Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Strait of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don’t need people to join wars after they’ve already won. He’s challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.

Continue ReadingIran strikes damaged 16 US military sites in Middle East, report claims

‘I Refuse to Be Complicit’: Man Scales 168-Foot Bridge in DC Demanding End to Iran War

Spread the love

Article by Jon Queally republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0).

Guido Reichstadter scaled the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge in Washington, DC on Friday, May 1, 2026 in order to protest the Iran War started by the President Donald Trump just over two months ago. (Photo: bystander video/screenshot/via Al-Jazeera)

“I’m at the top of this bridge,” says Guido Reichstadter, “because the government of the United States is engaged in acts of mass murder in my name.”

Forty-five-year-old social justice activist named Guido Reichstadter, on Saturday morning, was still perched atop the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge in Washington, DC, after first scaling the structure Friday afternoon in protest against President Donald Trump’s disastrous war against Iran, now in its third month, and the rapid and unregulated spread of artificial intelligence technology.

As Reichstadter, who described himself as the father of two children with master’s degrees in both math and physics, said in a video posted to social media on Friday: “Hi, my name is Guido Reichstadter, and I’m currently occupying the top of the Frederick Douglass memorial bridge in Washington, DC.”

RECOMMENDED…

Lego video honoring Guido Reichstatder

‘The World Is Proud of You, Guido’: American Peace Activist Honored in Iranian Lego Video

Western Media Called Out for 'Misleading' Portrayal of Iranians Defending Infrastructure as 'Human Shields'

Western Media Called Out for ‘Misleading’ Portrayal of Iranians Defending Infrastructure as ‘Human Shields’

“I’m calling on the people of the United States,” he continued, “to bring an immediate end to the Trump regime’s illegal war on Iran and the removal of the regime’s power through mass nonviolent direct action and non-cooperation.”

“I woke up on February 28th, and I found that hundreds of school children had been blown apart. I think there are many millions of Americans who reject the war in principle, but whose actions have not yet been sufficient to bring it to an end.”

In a separate video, he explained he was at the top of the bridge, which rises approximately 168 feet above the Anacostia River at its highest point, “because the government of the United States is engaged in acts of mass murder in my name. And I refuse to be complicit in that.”

While bridge traffic in both directions was closed at times on Friday and overnight, the bridge is reportedly open to traffic Saturday morning, though with some lane restrictions, as law enforcement said a “barricade situation” with the protester continued.

Reichstadter, who has staged high-profile protests in the past, spoke to Al-Jazeera via video stream on Friday to explain his actions and call for an end to the war that he says—and tens of millions of other Americans agree, according to polling—is a colossal failure by the Trump administration.

“I mean, it’s an atrocity, right?” he said when asked what motivated him. “I woke up on February 28th, and I found that hundreds of school children had been blown apart. I think there are many millions of Americans who reject the war in principle, but whose actions have not yet been sufficient to bring it to an end.”

Democratic members of Congress, both in the US House and Senate, have now brought several War Powers Resolutions to the floor in an effort to end the US attack on Iran, which now includes a naval blockade of the country, but Republican majorities in both chambers, backing Trump, have thwarted those efforts.

Poll after poll, meanwhile, shows that Reichstadter is completely correct in stating that millions of people “reject the war,” but still the war continues even after a 60-day deadline, according to the War Powers Act of 1973, which says the president must either end military operations or get the explicit approval of Congress, which came and went on Friday.

On Friday, a video showed Reichstadter wearing a t-shirt that read “NO WAR” and unfurling a large black banner along the side of the bridge’s central arch as part of the protest.

Before scaling the bridge, Reichstadter also spoke with journalist Ford Fisher to explain his motivations and what he hoped to accomplish with his one-person direct action:

Reichstatder stayed on the bridge overnight, even as fireworks exploded overhead from a nearby Major League Baseball game.

In his statement concerning AI, Reichstadter said he wanted to “urgently warn the people of the US and the world of the imminent danger we are in of crossing a point of no return towards the development of artificial intelligence, which poses the risk of catastrophic harm to humanity, including human extinction.”

“I call on the governments of the world to take immediate action to end this danger by permanently banning the development of artificial general intelligence and machine super intelligence,” he said. “I also call on the people of the world to exert all possible influence through nonviolent action to compel their governments to end this danger with all possible speed.”

Article by Jon Queally republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0).

Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it's fun to kill everyone ...
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it’s fun to kill everyone …
Donald Trump explains why he established his Bored of Peace
Donald Trump explains why he established his Bored of Peace
Orcas discuss Donald Trump and the killer apes' concept of democracy. Front Orca warns that Trump is crashing his country's economy and that everything he does he does for the fantastically wealthy.
Orcas discuss Donald Trump and the killer apes’ concept of democracy. Front Orca warns that Trump is crashing his country’s economy and that everything he does he does for the fantastically wealthy.

‘The World Is Proud of You, Guido’: American Peace Activist Honored in Iranian Lego Video | Common Dreams ›

Continue Reading‘I Refuse to Be Complicit’: Man Scales 168-Foot Bridge in DC Demanding End to Iran War

Germany’s Merz says US has ‘no exit strategy’ in Iran war, calls Tehran ‘skilled negotiator’

Spread the love

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz holds a press conference at the Chancellery to address current issues in Berlin, Germany, on April 9, 2026. [Halil Sağırkaya – Anadolu Agency]

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz on Monday criticized the US for lacking an “exit strategy” in the Iran war, while saying the Iranians are “very skilled” negotiators, Anadolu reports.

“The problem with such conflicts is always this: You don’t just have to get in; you also have to get out. We saw that very painfully in Afghanistan, for 20 years. We saw it in Iraq,” Merz said during a discussion with high school students in the western town of Marsberg.

The US “clearly went into this war in Iran without any strategy at all,” German Press Agency DPA quoted the chancellor as saying, adding that this is why it is all the more difficult to end the conflict now.

Merz said he did not believe the US could end the war in Iran quickly “because the Iranians are obviously stronger than expected, and the Americans clearly don’t have a truly convincing strategy in the negotiations either.”

“Especially since the Iranians are obviously very skilled at negotiating — or, rather, very skilled at not negotiating,” the chancellor said. “An entire nation is being humiliated by the Iranian leadership,” he added.

READ: Germany calls on UN to take responsibility for settling Iran conflict

Merz also warned that the US war in Iran has deeply affected his country’s economic performance.

“It’s a rather tricky situation at the moment and it’s costing us a great deal of money. This conflict, this war against Iran, has a direct impact on our economic performance.”

Last week, Europe’s economic powerhouse slashed its growth forecast for this year and next, squarely blaming the US-Israeli war on Iran.

The conservative-led coalition of Merz now expects the economy to grow only 0.5% this year, down from a prior estimate of 1.0%. For 2027, it likewise lowered its forecast to 0.9% from 1.3%.

Earlier this month, a poll conducted by the Sunday daily Bild am Sonntag newspaper found that 70% of eligible voters are dissatisfied with Merz’s performance, while only 21% are satisfied. Seventy-three percent of those surveyed are dissatisfied with the center-right coalition of Christian Democrats and Social Democrat, while only 20% are satisfied.

READ: Top diplomats of Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia discuss efforts for ceasefire with US

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel's genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism "without qualification". Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel’s genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism “without qualification”. Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Climate science denier Donald Trump confirms that he knows nothing about democracy and that more liquid gold is being secured according to his policy of global privateering.
Climate science denier Donald Trump confirms that he knows nothing about democracy and that more liquid gold is being secured according to his policy of global privateering.
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it's fun to kill everyone ...
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it’s fun to kill everyone …

Continue ReadingGermany’s Merz says US has ‘no exit strategy’ in Iran war, calls Tehran ‘skilled negotiator’

Iran has ‘high’ incentive to maintain ceasefire, US forces remain ‘postured’: US defense chief

Spread the love

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

United States Secretary of War Pete Hegseth speaks during the press conference held by The United States President Donald Trump in the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House on April 6, 2026, in Washington DC, United States. [Celal Güneş – Anadolu Agency ]

US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said Thursday that Iran’s “motivation” to maintain the ceasefire is “very high,” while warning that US forces remain “maximally postured” to resume war if Tehran rejects a deal, Anadolu reports.

“Our forces are maximally postured to restart combat operations, should this new Iranian regime choose poorly and not agree to a deal,” Hegseth said during a Pentagon briefing.

He urged Iran to “choose wisely,” warning its military leadership that Washington is closely “watching” their actions.

Hegseth said Iran’s command and control capabilities are “highly degraded,” limiting its ability to coordinate operations, but noted that its “motivation to want to stay in the ceasefire is very high.”

“They understand that a violation of that ceasefire means a commencement,” he continued.

“We are reloading with more power than ever before, and better intelligence, even more importantly, better intelligence than ever before,” said Hegseth. “As you expose yourself with your movement to our watchful eye, we are locked and loaded on your critical dual-use infrastructure, on your remaining power generation and on your energy industry.”

“We’d rather not have to do it, but we’re ready to go at the command of our president and at the push of a button,” he added.

READ: Iran and US deny reports of preliminary ceasefire extension agreement

Strait of Hormuz

Hegseth also said the US Navy controls traffic in and out of the Strait of Hormuz, enforcing a blockade with “less than 10%” of America’s naval power.

Separately, Joint Chiefs Chair Dan Caine said the blockade applies to all vessels heading to or from Iranian ports, regardless of nationality, but stressed it does not constitute a blockade of the Strait of Hormuz itself.

The remarks came as the US and Iran have been holding negotiations to extend a two-week ceasefire announced last week, which is set to expire on April 22.

Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has been severely disrupted since the US-Israeli war against Iran began Feb. 28, and a US naval blockade announced Monday, after Washington said talks last weekend failed to yield a deal.

About 20% of global oil supply passes through the strait daily, and heightened insecurity has driven up oil prices as well as shipping and insurance costs.

READ: Iran supreme leader’s adviser threatens to sink US ships in Strait of Hormuz

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel's genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism "without qualification". Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel’s genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism “without qualification”. Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Straight of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don't need people to join wars after they've already won. He's challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.
Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Straight of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don’t need people to join wars after they’ve already won. He’s challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.
Orcas discuss how Trump was re-elected and him being an obviously insane, xenophobic Fascist.
Orcas discuss how Trump was re-elected and him being an obviously insane, xenophobic Fascist.

Continue ReadingIran has ‘high’ incentive to maintain ceasefire, US forces remain ‘postured’: US defense chief