Labour and Tories would ‘both leave NHS worse off than under austerity’

Spread the love

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/jun/15/labour-and-tories-would-both-leave-nhs-worse-off-than-under-austerity-says-thinktank

NHS emblem
NHS emblem

Analysis by leading experts the Nuffield Trust reveals that main parties’ manifestos would squeeze health spending

Labour and the Conservatives would both leave the NHS with lower spending increases than during the years of Tory austerity, according to an independent analysis of their manifestos by a leading health thinktank.

The assessment by the respected Nuffield Trust of the costed NHS policies of both parties, announced in their manifestos last week, says the level of funding increases would leave them struggling to pay existing staff costs, let alone the bill for massive planned increases in doctors, nurses and other staff in the long-term workforce plan agreed last year.

The Nuffield Trust said that “the manifestos imply increases [in annual funding for the NHS] between 2024-25 and 2028-29 of 1.5% each year for the Liberal Democrats, 0.9% for the Conservatives and 1.1% for Labour.

“Both Conservative and Labour proposals would represent a lower level of funding increase than the period of ‘austerity’ between 2010-11 and 2014-15.

“This would be an unprecedented slowdown in NHS finances and it is inconceivable that it would accompany the dramatic recovery all are promising. This slowdown follows three years of particularly constrained finances.”

The trust added that the planned funding increases “would make the next few years the tightest period of funding in NHS history”.

Sally Gainsbury, senior policy ­analyst at the Nuffield Trust and a leading authority on NHS funding, said: “They will struggle to be able to pay the existing staff, let alone the additional staff set out in the workforce plan. It’s completely unrealistic.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/jun/15/labour-and-tories-would-both-leave-nhs-worse-off-than-under-austerity-says-thinktank

Continue ReadingLabour and Tories would ‘both leave NHS worse off than under austerity’

Failed communities unite to demand government action on Grenfell anniversary

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/communities-impacted-governments-failings-unite-anniversary-grenfell-tower

A general view of the remains of Grenfell Tower in London, June 14, 2022

VICTIMS of the government’s systemic failures have demanded that the next prime minister take recommendations from public inquiries seriously.

Communities affected by the infected blood scandal, Covid and the Grenfell fire are calling for a new mechanism to ensure that their struggles are not in vain.

They have joined forces on the seventh anniversary of the Grenfell Tower blaze, in which 72 residents were killed after a fire ripped through the 24-storey block in north Kensington.

Campaigners united for the annual memorial walk from Notting Hill Methodist Church this evening.

Lobby Akinnola from the Covid-19 Bereaved Families for Justice (CBFFJ) said he was “honoured to stand shoulder to shoulder in solidarity with Grenfell survivors, and all victims of state failures who continue to fight for justice and reform.”

He backed calls for a national oversight mechanism to “help make sure that recommendations turn into action and action turns into change.”

Edward Daffarn, from Grenfell United, who lived on the 16th floor of the tower block said: “It’s really important that communities impacted by these disasters stand together. We can’t all fight individually.”

He said the message to government is simple: “They need to ensure that recommendations that come out of public inquiries are implemented.”

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/communities-impacted-governments-failings-unite-anniversary-grenfell-tower

Continue ReadingFailed communities unite to demand government action on Grenfell anniversary

India: author Arundhati Roy to be prosecuted over 2010 Kashmir remarks

Spread the love

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/15/india-author-arundhati-roy-to-be-prosecuted-over-2010-kashmir-remarks

Arundhati Roy has stood out as one of the most high-profile critics of Modi’s government, which has been accused of suppressing free speech. Photograph: TT News Agency/Alamy

Official from ruling BJP party allows action against Booker winner under controversial anti-terrorism law

Indian authorities have granted permission for the prosecution of the Booker prize-winning Indian novelist Arundhati Roy over comments she made about Kashmir at an event in 2010.

The top official in the Delhi administration, VK Saxena, gave the go-ahead for legal action against Roy, whose novel The God of Small Things won the Booker prize in 1997, under anti-terrorism legislation, alongside a former university professor, Sheikh Showkat Hussain.

The action against Roy and Hussain, a former professor at the Central University of Kashmir, is over allegedly making provocative speeches, the Press Trust of India reports, citing officials from Saxena’s office.

Saxena, who is serving as the lieutenant governor, is a politician from prime minister Narendra Modi’s ruling BJP.

While Roy, 62, is one of India’s most famous living authors, her activism and outspoken criticism of Modi’s government, including over laws targeting minorities, have made her a polarising figure in India.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/15/india-author-arundhati-roy-to-be-prosecuted-over-2010-kashmir-remarks

Continue ReadingIndia: author Arundhati Roy to be prosecuted over 2010 Kashmir remarks