Board of Peace envoy says there is ‘no recovery’ in Gaza despite ceasefire gains
This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

A senior Board of Peace official said Thursday that there is “no recovery” in Gaza despite some progress under a ceasefire deal, Anadolu reports.
Nickolay Mladenov, high representative for Gaza, told the UN Security Council that mass destruction, displacement and humanitarian challenges continue to define conditions on the ground.
“When I last appeared before you, the framework for the decommissioning of weapons in Gaza had been agreed among the guarantors and presented to the parties, and I told you the engagement was serious. The first written report on the implementation of Security Council Resolution 2803 (2025) of the Board of Peace is now before you,” he said.
Noting that there had been limited but important improvements since the ceasefire took hold, he said, “The guns have largely fallen silent across Gaza for the first time in two years. Every hostage has been returned to their family.”
“The number of people receiving food assistance has risen from 400,000 to roughly 2 million. None of this was inevitable. None of it should be taken for granted,” he added.
Warning against describing the situation as a recovery, Mladenov said, “I will not stand before this Council and call this recovery, because there is no recovery.”
He described the scale of destruction as unprecedented, noting widespread infrastructure collapse across the enclave.
READ: UN official says renewed Gaza war would have ‘disastrous consequences’ for civilians
“Some 70 million tons of rubble lie where homes and schools and hospitals used to stand, much of it mixed with unexploded ordnance,” he noted.
Mladenov said more than 1 million people remain without permanent shelter and are living in tents or damaged buildings.
At the same time, unemployment has reached extreme levels, and basic services remain severely degraded, he said.
Although the ceasefire is largely holding, he said it is “holding in a way that is not perfect. There are daily violations.”
He added that continued restrictions and delays are undermining humanitarian access and confidence in the process, stressing that civilians bear the cost of the delay in Gaza.
US deputy UN envoy Tammy Bruce welcomed the report by the Board of Peace. “The United States does have the pleasure of applauding the accomplishments of the Board of Peace over the recent months and the steps toward establishing the Office of the High Representative, the International Stabilization Force, and the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza,” she said.
“As we have just heard today, there are still significant challenges to overcome in the reconstruction and rebuilding of Gaza and securing enduring safety, stability, and prosperity,” said Bruce, explaining that challenges can be overcome by working together.
“A future of peace, freedom, personal and economic in the Middle East is in all of our interests. We must work together to make it happen. The United States will continue to work with Israel, its neighbors, and our partners on the Board of Peace to achieve that goal,” she added.
READ: Trump’s Gaza ‘peace’ board in turmoil as funding pledges fail to materialise
This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

- Jordan condemns Israeli seizure of properties near Al-Aqsa Mosque
- Hamas accuses Mladenov of adopting Israeli narrative over Gaza
- Despite blackout, satellite images reveal damage to Israeli military bases during Iran war
- UN reports nearly 50 illegal Israeli occupier attacks across West Bank in 1 week
- Board of Peace envoy says there is ‘no recovery’ in Gaza despite ceasefire gains
- Trump says US opposes Strait of Hormuz tolls, vows to get uranium from Iran
- UN official says renewed Gaza war would have ‘disastrous consequences’ for civilians
- US intelligence believes Iran quickly rebuilt military industrial base, producing drones: Report
- France rejects any possible NATO role in Strait of Hormuz
- Italy requests EU to sanction Israeli minister Ben-Gvir over treatment of Gaza flotilla activists
- ‘Unacceptable’: Denmark condemns Israeli treatment of Gaza flotilla detainees
- Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia call for presidential, parliamentary elections in Libya
- Kuwait sends IRGC-linked suspects to court over ‘illegal entry’
- Senior barristers accused of misusing legal status in pro-Israel campaign against Palestine activists
- Pro-Israel commentator warns critics face ‘buzzsaw’ of ‘Jewish money’ after Massie defeat
- The bell tolls in Beijing: Xi’s warning and the shadow of Thucydides
- Legal centre: Israeli forces subjected flotilla activists to severe physical and psychological abuse
- The geopolitics of energy algorithms: Who will control oil markets in the age of Artificial Intelligence?
- Dehumanisation, colonialism and its accomplices
- Israel’s High Court gives aid groups 30 days to submit employee lists or cease operations
- Sudan: Hemedti strips defected RSF commander of rank, sentences him to death in absentia
- Trial opens in Germany over attack on Israeli arms company
- Trump’s Gaza ‘peace’ board in turmoil as funding pledges fail to materialise
- Palestinian Prisoners Club says Israel uses detention of solidarity activists to intimidate global supporters
- Israeli minister boasts of mistreatment of Gaza flotilla activists
- Podcast by Jasim Al-Azzawi with Avi Shlaim: The journey of a moral historian from Baghdad to Israel to Oxford
- Israeli foreign minister slams Ben-Gvir over mistreatment of flotilla activists
- Iran threatens permit system for internet cables crossing Strait of Hormuz
- Iranian parliament speaker warns of “strong response” to any new US attack
- France and Italy protest after video of Freedom Flotilla activists in Israeli custody circulates
- US lifts sanctions on Francesca Albanese, UN expert on Palestinians following court order
- Maps of a vanished world: The myth of containing Iran
- Hormuz closure could trigger global food price crisis within a year, UN agency warns
- Spain summons Israeli charge d’affaires for ‘monstrous’ treatment of Gaza flotilla activists
- Canada demands Israel ensure ‘safety and security of Canadians’ on Gaza-bound flotilla
- Poland demands ‘justice’ for its citizens after Israeli treatment of Gaza flotilla members, calls for consequences
- UN chief strongly condemns Israel’s decision to set up army base on UNRWA compound in East Jerusalem
- Debunking The Founding Myths of Israel | Palestine This Week with Mouin Rabbani
- Sovereignty, Palestine, and Power Vacuum: The Urgent Need for a United Arab Initiative
- Italy summons Israeli ambassador after Ben-Gvir filmed taunting Gaza flotilla detainees
- CAAP slams Israel participation in inter-American forum
- India’s Gulf gamble in a fragmenting Middle East
- Pro-Palestinian activists hold protest at Belgian university rectorate, demand full Israeli academic boycott
- Israel’s High Court gives aid groups 30 days to submit employee lists or cease operations
- Trump, Netanyahu hold ‘lengthy, dramatic’ call as decision on Iran nears: Israeli media
- Jewish groups launch new diaspora movement rejecting Israel’s ethno-nationalism
- Palestinian ministry condemns illumination of Ibrahimi Mosque in Israeli flag colors
- The Gulf Cooperation Council is shooting itself in the foot
- Sheikh Ekrima Sabri denies “terrorism” charges in Israeli court
- Israeli occupiers establish new illegal settlement outpost in West Bank’s Hebron

