Rapporteur calls for independent investigation into Sakila death

Spread the love

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2026/0521/1574523-witness-appeal

Yves Sakila died after an alleged shoplifting incident in Dublin last Friday

Ireland’s Special Rapporteur on Racism and Racial Equality has called for an Independent investigation into the death of Yves Sakila.

Dr Ebun Joseph says she has written to the Minister for Justice, the Garda Commissioner, and the Executive Director of Fiosrú, expressing profound concern regarding the circumstances surrounding Mr Sakila’s death in Dublin last week.

Gardaí were alerted on Friday afternoon after security personnel detained Mr Sakila in connection with an alleged shoplifting incident. During the incident, a man in his 80s was injured as the suspect attempted to flee the scene.

The Irish Network Against Racism described a video of the incident, which shows Mr Sakila being held on the ground for almost five minutes as “very disturbing”.

It said he is heard shouting in distress as he is being detained but by the end of the video he appears to be motionless. The 35-year-old man was later pronounced dead at the Mater Hospital.

Continues at https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2026/0521/1574523-witness-appeal

Outrage in Ireland after Congolese man Yves Sakila killed as guards kneel on his neck

Vigil for Yves Sakila, May 19, 2026. Source: X

Over 100 people joined a vigil for Yves Sakila in Dublin on Tuesday, May 19. A member of the Congolese community, 35-year-old Sakila died late last week after being violently restrained and pinned to the ground in front of a shop by a group of men, including private security guards. Another protest action has already been announced for Thursday.

Media reports suggest Sakila was assaulted after being accused of shoplifting. “A very disturbing 4m44s video has since emerged which appears to show the man on the ground being subdued by several men, who appear to be security guards and management at Arnotts,” the Irish Network Against Racism (INAR) stated on May 18.

“One of the men is seen to shift his weight onto his knee to drive it into the neck and head region of the subdued man,” the network added. “The man on the ground is heard shouting in distress as several men are kneeling on his body and the men shout several times for him to ‘stay down’ while holding his neck and pinning his body to the ground with their combined weight.”

“By the end of the 4m44s video we have seen, the man appears motionless.”

Continue ReadingRapporteur calls for independent investigation into Sakila death

UN official says renewed Gaza war would have ‘disastrous consequences’ for civilians

Spread the love

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Palestinians inspect the destruction of a residential building belonging to the Abu Shamala family following an Israeli air strike at the Bureij camp in the central Gaza Strip, Palestine on May 20, 2026. [Moiz Salhi – Anadolu Agency]

A senior UN official said Thursday that a return to full-scale war in the Gaza Strip would have “disastrous consequences” for civilians, while cautioning that worsening violence and illegal Israeli settlement expansion across the occupied Palestinian territory are deepening instability, Anadolu reports.

“As I brief you today, the situation across the Occupied Palestinian Territory is increasingly precarious,” Ramiz Alakbarov, UN deputy special coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, said at a UN Security Council session to discuss the latest report of the Board of Peace for Gaza.

He said tensions in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, continue to intensify as “settlement expansion, settler-related violence, and incitement continue to drive tensions.”

Turning to Gaza, Alakbarov said momentum generated by the ceasefire has weakened amid delays in implementing UN Security Council Resolution (UNSCR) 2803 and continued violence.

“In Gaza, delays in the implementation of UNSCR 2803, alongside daily violence and a continuing humanitarian crisis, have replaced the early momentum following the ceasefire,” he said.

As discussions continue advancing to the second phase of the ceasefire deal, he warned against growing calls for renewed hostilities.

“As talks on advancing to Phase II of the ceasefire continue, calls are emerging in some circles for a resumption of widespread hostilities. This would have disastrous consequences for the population of Gaza,” he said. “Let me be clear: the people of Gaza cannot take more war. This scenario must be avoided at all costs.”

READ: Italy requests EU to sanction Israeli minister Ben-Gvir over treatment of Gaza flotilla activists

Alakbarov emphasized that the implementation of Resolution 2803 remains urgent. “The implementation of Resolution 2803 cannot wait. All elements of the Comprehensive Plan are interconnected and must be implemented in full.”

He said civilians in Gaza continue to face uncertainty as Israeli strikes occur “on a nearly daily basis, killing dozens.”

Despite limited improvements, humanitarian conditions remain severe, according to Alakbarov.

“The reopening of Zikim crossing in mid-April and a limited increase in the volume of aid are welcome improvements. However, humanitarian operations remain heavily constrained by limited operational crossings, restrictions on critical humanitarian items that Israel considers ‘dual-use,’” he said.

Alakbarov said he witnessed devastation and resilience among Palestinians during a recent visit to Gaza.

Addressing the occupied West Bank, Alakbarov said Israeli authorities advanced plans for more than 640 housing units in Area C and over 1,620 units in the settlement of Pisgat Zeev in East Jerusalem during the reporting period.

He also said five Palestinians, including two children, were killed by Israeli forces in the West Bank, while 156 others, including 20 children, were injured by Israeli forces or Israeli occupiers.

“Throughout the West Bank, the frequency and severity of settler attacks have significantly increased in 2026, with some 220 Palestinian communities having faced attacks, which are increasingly leading to the displacement of entire communities,” he said.

“We cannot ignore the current alarming trends or their dire implications for Palestinians, Israelis, and the entire region. This is the moment to take urgent steps to reverse these dangerous dynamics,” he added.

READ: Trump’s Gaza ‘peace’ board in turmoil as funding pledges fail to materialise

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel's genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism "without qualification". Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel’s genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism “without qualification”. Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/

Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza's hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza’s hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel.
Orcas discuss Donald Trump and the killer apes' concept of democracy. Front Orca warns that Trump is crashing his country's economy and that everything he does he does for the fantastically wealthy.
Orcas discuss Donald Trump and the killer apes’ concept of democracy. Front Orca warns that Trump is crashing his country’s economy and that everything he does he does for the fantastically wealthy.

Continue ReadingUN official says renewed Gaza war would have ‘disastrous consequences’ for civilians

Trump says US opposes Strait of Hormuz tolls, vows to get uranium from Iran

Spread the love

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

US President Donald Trump holds a press conference at the White House in Washington, DC on April 25, 2026.[Celal Güneş – Anadolu Agency]

President Donald Trump said Thursday that the US opposes any tolls on shipping through the Strait of Hormuz and vowed that Iran will not be allowed to retain highly enriched uranium, Anadolu reports.

“We don’t want tolls. It’s an international waterway. They’re not charging tolls right now,” Trump told the reporters at the White House.

Trump claimed Iran is suffering major financial losses because of restrictions on shipping activity.

Asked whether Iran could retain its stockpile of highly enriched uranium under any future arrangement, Trump answered bluntly.

“No, we get the highly enriched; we will get it,” Trump said. “We don’t need it. We don’t want it. We’ll probably destroy it after we get it, but we’re not going to let them have it.”

Trump reiterated that the US will not let Iran have a nuclear weapon.

“Right now, we’re negotiating, and we’ll see, but we’re going to get it one way or the other. They’re not going to have a nuclear weapon,” he said.

READ: US intelligence believes Iran quickly rebuilt military industrial base, producing drones: Report

Trump said the US is monitoring reported negotiations between Iran and Oman over possible tolls in the Strait of Hormuz, while asserting that US forces maintain complete control over maritime traffic in the strategic waterway.

Asked whether it would be acceptable for Iran to negotiate with Oman on formalizing toll charges for ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz, Trump said: “Well, we’re looking at it; we hear about it.”

Trump went on to claim that the US has enforced an effective blockade in the region.

“We have total control of the Strait of Hormuz, as you know, with our blockade,” Trump said. “The blockade has been 100% effective. Nobody’s been able to get through. It’s like a steel wall.”

Regional tensions have escalated since the US and Israel launched strikes against Iran on Feb. 28. Tehran retaliated with strikes targeting Israel as well as US allies in the Gulf, along with the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.

A ceasefire took effect on April 8 through Pakistani mediation, but talks in Islamabad failed to produce a lasting agreement. Trump later extended the truce indefinitely while maintaining a blockade on vessels traveling to or from Iranian ports through the Strait of Hormuz.

READ: Iranian parliament speaker warns of “strong response” to any new US attack

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel's genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism "without qualification". Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel’s genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism “without qualification”. Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/

Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it's fun to kill everyone ... unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it’s fun to kill everyone … unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says he wishes someone would lock him up, small Orca speaks bluntly.
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says he wishes someone would lock him up, small Orca speaks bluntly.

Continue ReadingTrump says US opposes Strait of Hormuz tolls, vows to get uranium from Iran

US intelligence believes Iran quickly rebuilt military industrial base, producing drones: Report

Spread the love

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) participate in a military exercise aimed at “increasing combat capabilities” in Tehran province, Iran, on May 12, 2026. [Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps – Anadolu Agency]

US intelligence believes that Iran resumed parts of its drone production during the six-week ceasefire with Washington that started in early April, signaling a rapid recovery of some military capabilities damaged by US-Israeli strikes, CNN reported Thursday.

Intelligence assessments suggest Iran’s military is rebuilding far more quickly than expected, said the report, which cited US intelligence officials.

The effort includes restoring missile sites, launch systems and manufacturing capacity for critical weapons that were damaged or destroyed during the conflict.

Officials reportedly warned that the rapid recovery means Iran could still pose a major threat to regional allies if US President Donald Trump decides to resume military operations.

READ: Iranian parliament speaker warns of “strong response” to any new US attack

The assessments also raised doubts about how severely US-Israeli strikes weakened Iran’s military in the long term.

One official said that some intelligence estimates indicate Iran could restore its drone strike capabilities within six months.

“The Iranians have exceeded all timelines the IC (intelligence community) had for reconstitution,” said the official.

Sources reportedly said Iran’s unexpectedly fast recovery is being driven by several factors, including assistance from Russia and China, as well as the possibility that US and Israeli attacks caused less damage than initially anticipated.

Regional tensions have escalated since the US and Israel launched strikes against Iran on Feb. 28. Tehran retaliated with strikes targeting Israel as well as US allies in the Gulf, along with the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.

A ceasefire took effect April 8 through Pakistani mediation, but talks in Islamabad failed to produce a lasting agreement. Trump later extended the truce indefinitely while maintaining a blockade on vessels traveling to or from Iranian ports through the Strait of Hormuz.

READ: France rejects any possible NATO role in Strait of Hormuz

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel's genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism "without qualification". Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/
Keir Starmer explains that UK is actively supporting Israel’s genocidal expansion and repeats his previous quotation that he supports Zionism “without qualification”. Keir Starmer said “I said it loud and clear – and meant it – that I support Zionism without qualification.” here: https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/keir-starmer-interview-i-will-work-to-eradicate-antisemitism-from-day-one/

Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Strait of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don't need people to join wars after they've already won. He's challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.
Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Strait of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don’t need people to join wars after they’ve already won. He’s challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.
Orcas discuss how Trump was re-elected and him being an obviously insane, xenophobic Fascist.
Orcas discuss how Trump was re-elected and him being an obviously insane, xenophobic Fascist.

Continue ReadingUS intelligence believes Iran quickly rebuilt military industrial base, producing drones: Report