Not ‘Anti-Israel,’ Says Irish Leader After Israeli Embassy Closed, But ‘Pro-International Law’

Spread the love

Original article by Jon Queally republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). 

Pro-Palestinian activists from the Ireland Palestine Solidarity Campaign, supported by members of left-wing parties including People Before Profit and the Socialist Party and students, participate in the ‘National March for Palestine’ from the Garden of Remembrance to O’Connell Street and Leinster House, on May 18, 2024, in Dublin, Ireland.  (Photo by Artur Widak/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

“Ireland will always speak up for human rights and international law. Nothing will distract from that.”

Ireland’s Taoiseach Simon Harris on Sunday responded to charges by the Israeli government—which earlier in the day shuttered its embassy in Dublin—by saying the Irish government has not been “anti-Israel” in its positions over the war in Gaza, but rather “pro-peace, pro-human rights, and pro-international law.”

In a statement explaining the official closure of the diplomatic outpost, Israeli foreign minister Gideon Saar said the “decision to close the Israeli embassy in Dublin was made in light of the extreme anti-Israel policy of the Irish government.”

The ministry’s statement noted that “the Israeli ambassador in Dublin was returned to Israel at the time following Ireland’s decision to unilaterally recognize a ‘Palestinian state’,” which took place in May of this year.

Saar said Ireland had used “antisemitic rhetoric” against Israel, though did not specify what language he was referring to, and also accused the country of “crossing every red line in its relations with Israel.”

In addition to formally recognizing a Palestinian state, the government of Ireland has also backed South Africa in its genocide case against Israel, brought before the International Court of Justice (ICJ) earlier this year.

https://twitter.com/ipsc48/status/1868375838338748817?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1868375838338748817%7Ctwgr%5E26e817b95d3f8875e6bc4dfb5692ac3fa647334f%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.commondreams.org%2Fnews%2Fireland-israel-gaza-genocide

Sorry, this content could not be embedded.

X

In his Sunday response to Israel’s decision, Harris said he was “deeply disappointed” in the move even as he “utterly rejected” Israeli assertions.

“Ireland’s foreign policy is founded on our deep commitment to dialogue and to the peaceful resolution of disputes,” Harris said, adding that embassies worldwide “play a very important role” in maintaining that commitment.

“Ireland wants a two-state solution and for Israel and Palestine to live in peace and security,” he concluded. “Ireland will always speak up for human rights and international law. Nothing will distract from that.”

https://twitter.com/BeckettUnite/status/1868281603379626288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1868281603379626288%7Ctwgr%5E26e817b95d3f8875e6bc4dfb5692ac3fa647334f%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.commondreams.org%2Fnews%2Fireland-israel-gaza-genocide

Sorry, this content could not be embedded.

X

In a separate reaction to Israel’s decision, Micheál Martin, the Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs, said there were no plans to retaliate diplomatically or reciprocate by closing the Irish embassy in Israel.

“The continuation of the war in Gaza and the loss of innocent lives is simply unacceptable and contravenes international law,” Martin said. “It represents the collective punishment of the Palestinian people in Gaza. We need an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages and a surge of humanitarian aid into Gaza.”

“Ireland and Israel will continue to maintain diplomatic relations,” he added. ” Inherent in that is the right to agree and disagree on fundamental points.”

Original article by Jon Queally republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). 

Continue ReadingNot ‘Anti-Israel,’ Says Irish Leader After Israeli Embassy Closed, But ‘Pro-International Law’

Morning Star Editorial: Neither ‘free trade’ nor protection but socialism

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/editorial-neither-free-trade-nor-protection-socialism

President-elect Donald Trump speaks at meeting of the House GOP conference, November 13, 2024, in Washington

DONALD TRUMP is forcing the labour movement around the world to take an attitude towards trade.

The bland assumptions of free trade which have been accepted as the norm for decades are going to be challenged by the new US administration.

This week Trump has announced that he will impose punitive tariffs “on day one” on China and on immediate neighbours Canada and Mexico.

These are in response to alleged failures in the three countries in controlling migration towards the United States and/or the illicit export of constitutive elements of fentanyl, part of the vast drug addiction problem that has developed in the US.

As such, these tariffs can be seen for what they are — attempts to bully countries into line with US policy, including into dealing with internal problems which Washington seems unable to fix on its own.

They are of a piece with the promiscuous use of sanctions by both Republican and Democratic administrations to coerce foreign states into supporting aggressive US policies around the world. Those should be opposed by anyone who values national independence and international law.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/editorial-neither-free-trade-nor-protection-socialism

Continue ReadingMorning Star Editorial: Neither ‘free trade’ nor protection but socialism

Israeli minister Ben-Gvir storms Ibrahimi mosque in Hebron to provoke an escalation in the West Bank

Spread the love

Original article by Aseel Saleh republished from peoples dispatch under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 (CC BY-SA) license.

Itamar Ben-Gvir in June 2021. Photo: Wikimedia Commons / שי קנדלר

Following ICC’s issuance of arrest warrants against top Israeli officials over Gaza’s genocide, Ben-Gvir bluntly threatened to escalate the situation in the West Bank, confirming Israel’s disregard of international law.

Israeli Minister of National Security Itamar Ben-Gvir stormed Ibrahimi Mosque in the city of Hebron (Al-Khalil) in the southern occupied West Bank on Friday, November 22, accompanied by thousands of Israeli settlers.

A Palestinian citizen from a local committee working to defend Hebron city from Israeli violations told Anadolu Ajansı that Ben-Gvir and the settlers escorting him performed Talmudic rituals for the Jewish holiday Chayei Sarah (Life of Sarah) inside the mosque. He added that the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) imposed a curfew on the old city of Hebron, where the Ibrahimi Mosque is located, banning Palestinians from reaching the area during the settlers’ raid.

Meanwhile, the director of the Ibrahimi Mosque Mutaz Abu Sneineh informed media outlets that the IOF closed the mosque to Muslim worshipers and employees through Saturday evening. The Ibrahimi Mosque itself has also been the site of numerous settler attacks. In 1994, extremist settler terrorist Baruch Goldstein entered the mosque during a prayer and open fired, killing 29 Palestinian worshippers and injuring over 100.

While settler violence against Palestinians has a long history that goes back to the period of the British Mandate in Palestine, the rise of extremist leader Ben-Gvir since 2019 has been accompanied by a sharp uptick in attacks and provocative acts. Ben-Gvir has been labelled by Israeli and western media alike as a provocateur, pyromaniac, ultranationalist, and an extremist settler.

Ben-Gvir has been part of Netanyahu’s government, playing a key role in shaping politics and decision making, since 2022 as the Minister of National Security. Ben-Gvir’s illegal attacks and provocations would not be possible without his government’s policies and rhetoric which explicitly back settler violence.

Israel’s new Defense Minister, Yisrael Katz, announced on Friday the suspension of administrative detention for Israeli settlers who carry out attacks against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank. The Palestinian Authority slammed Katz’s decision as it would further encourage settlers to commit more crimes against Palestinians.

In a statement issued on Friday, the Palestinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates said that Katz’s decision “would encourage supremacist colonists to commit acts of terrorism against Palestinians and their properties and further foster their impunity.” The Ministry also called for effective international action to restrain settler “militias” and protect the Palestinians from their violence.

Katz’s decision may be seen as part of the plan recently declared by Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich for the West Bank annexation early November. The plan was re-iterated by Ben Gvir, who called for implementing it in response to the ICC’s issuance of arrest warrants orders for top Israeli officials on Thursday, November 21.

According to analysts, Israeli ministers aim at fueling the situation in the West Bank to find a pretext to end the Oslo Accords which granted the Palestinian Authority self-governance over the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, and to undermine international efforts for a two-state solution.

Original article by Aseel Saleh republished from peoples dispatch under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 (CC BY-SA) license.

Continue ReadingIsraeli minister Ben-Gvir storms Ibrahimi mosque in Hebron to provoke an escalation in the West Bank

Probe Shows Israel Used US Bomb Kit in Likely ‘Deliberate’ Attack on Journalists in Lebanon

Spread the love

Original article by Jake Johnson republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). 

A bomb remnant retrieved following Israel’s October 25, 2024 attack on a compound housing journalists in southern Lebanon.  (Photo: Anoir Ghaida via Human Rights Watch)

“Israel’s use of U.S. arms to unlawfully attack and kill journalists away from any military target is a terrible mark on the United States as well as Israel,” said a researcher from Human Rights Watch.

A leading international human rights organization said Monday that Israel’s deadly bombing of a Lebanese residential compound housing journalists last month was carried out using a munition guidance kit supplied by the United States.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) said its investigation determined that the October 25 strike in southern Lebanon, launched in the early hours of the morning as most of the journalists staying in the compound slept, was “most likely a deliberate attack on civilians and an apparent war crime.”

The group’s investigators visited the Hasbaya Village Club Resort, the target of the strike, and found no evidence that the compound was being used for military activity, undercutting Israel’s initial claim that it hit a building from which “terrorists were operating.”

HRW also said it reviewed information indicating that Israel’s military “knew or should have known” that journalists were staying in the compound. Journalists who were at the compound when Israel’s strike hit said the Israeli military did not issue a warning ahead of the attack.

“All the indications show that this would have been a deliberate targeting of journalists: a war crime.”

The airstrike killed at least three journalists and injured several others. Remnants from the scene of the strike collected by the targeted resort’s owner were “consistent” with Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs) that the U.S. has provided to the Israeli military.

One fragment, according to HRW “bore a numerical code identifying it as having been manufactured by Woodard, a U.S. company that makes components for guidance systems on munitions.” Boeing, a major U.S. military contractor, assembles and sells JDAMs, which are attached to bombs with the stated goal of making airstrikes more precise.

Other remnants HRW reviewed were consistent with materials from a 500-pound bomb equipped with a JDAM.

A bomb remnant retrieved following Israel’s October 25, 2024 attack. (Photo: Anoir Ghaida via Human Rights Watch)

Richard Weir, a senior researcher at HRW, said in a statement Monday that “Israel’s use of U.S. arms to unlawfully attack and kill journalists away from any military target is a terrible mark on the United States as well as Israel.”

“The Israeli military’s previous deadly attacks on journalists without any consequences give little hope for accountability in this or future violations against the media,” said Weir. “As evidence mounts of Israel’s unlawful use of U.S. weapons, including in apparent war crimes, U.S. officials need to decide whether they will uphold U.S. and international law by halting arms sales to Israel or risk being found legally complicit in serious violations.”

The Guardian conducted a separate investigation of the Israeli strike and reached conclusions mirroring HRW’s, reporting Monday that “Israel used a U.S. munition to target and kill three journalists and wound three.”

“On 25 October at 3:19 am, an Israeli jet shot two bombs at a chalet hosting three journalists—cameraman Ghassan Najjar and technician Mohammad Reda from pro-Hezbollah outlet al-Mayadeen, as well as cameraman Wissam Qassem from the Hezbollah-affiliated outlet al-Manar,” the newspaper observed. “All three were killed in their sleep in the attack which also wounded three other journalists from different outlets staying nearby. There was no fighting in the area before or at the time of the strike.”

Nadim Houry, a human rights lawyer and executive director of the Arab Reform Initiative, told The Guardian that “all the indications show that this would have been a deliberate targeting of journalists: a war crime.”

“This was clearly delineated as a place where journalists were staying,” Houry said.

The findings were published just days after the U.S. Senate voted down an effort led by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) to block new sales of American weaponry to Israel. One of the resolutions put forth by Sanders would have blocked the imminent transfer of over $260 million worth of JDAMs to Israel’s military.

In a fact sheet, Sanders’ office pointed to six examples in which Israel’s military used JDAMs in deadly attacks on civilians in Gaza and Lebanon, including children.

“The United States is complicit in these atrocities,” Sanders said in a floor speech ahead of last week’s vote. “That complicity must end.”

Original article by Jake Johnson republished from Common Dreams under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). 

Continue ReadingProbe Shows Israel Used US Bomb Kit in Likely ‘Deliberate’ Attack on Journalists in Lebanon

Case against Israel arms exports could be most important challenge in ‘generations’

Spread the love

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/case-against-israel-arms-exports-could-be-most-important-challenge-generations

Palestinians mourn nine people killed in an Israeli strike in Bureij refugee camp, Gaza Strip, November 15, 2024

A COURT case against the British government over arms exports to Israel could be the most important challenge to the legal system in “generations,” arms expert Andrew Feinstein has said.

The case, brought by the Global Legal Action Network and the human rights group Al-Haq, will be heard in the High Court on Monday.

It calls on the government to suspend all arms exports, citing a clear risk that these could be used by Israel to violate international law.

Currently only 30 out of 350 licences are suspended and components for the lethal F-35 fighter jet are exempt.

Speaking to the Morning Star’s deputy news editor Ceren Sagir in a video interview, Mr Feinstein warned that if the legal system sides with the British state as it has done before, effectively allowing it to “trample” over British and international law, “then we will be able to say without a shadow of a doubt that the legal system in Britain is broken.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/case-against-israel-arms-exports-could-be-most-important-challenge-generations

Genocide denying UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy says that UK is suspending 30 of 350 arms licences to Israel. He also confirms the UK government's support for Israel's Gaza genocide and the UK government and military's active participation in genocide.
Genocide denying UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy says that UK is suspending 30 of 350 arms licences to Israel. He also confirms the UK government’s support for Israel’s Gaza genocide and the UK government and military’s active participation in genocide.
Genocide denier and Current UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer is quoted that he supports Zionism without qualification. He also confirms that his active support and that of UK's air force has been essential in Israel's mass-murdering genocide. Includes URLs https://www.declassifieduk.org/keir-starmers-100-spy-flights-over-gaza-in-support-of-israel/ and https://youtu.be/O74hZCKKdpA
Genocide denier and Current UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer is quoted that he supports Zionism without qualification. He also confirms that UK air force support has been essential in Israel’s mass-murdering genocide. Includes URLs https://www.declassifieduk.org/keir-starmers-100-spy-flights-over-gaza-in-support-of-israel/ and https://youtu.be/O74hZCKKdpA
Vote For Genocide Vote Labour.
Vote For Genocide Vote Labour.

Continue ReadingCase against Israel arms exports could be most important challenge in ‘generations’